Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Gückel, Dominique <gu...@embedded.rwth-aachen.de> on 2009/04/09 09:06:01 UTC

Merge tracking problem

Hello everybody,

I have a problem with the merge tracking in Subversion. The software configuration is as follows:

-          Server: VisualSVN server 1.5.1 running on a Windows Server 2003

-          Client type 1: TortoiseSVN, on Windows XP and Vista machines

-          Client type 2: Subclipse, in Eclipse Ganymede, on Windows and Linux machines

Our project is located in a Subversion repository which has been created some years ago. So to say, the repository was there before Subversion supported merge tracking. The server and repository have been upgraded in 2008 to the 1.5 version. Since then, the tracking was working just fine: developers working on branches merged changes from the trunk into their branches and the clients showed that the merged revisions had already been merged.

However, things no longer work so well since (for the first time since the upgrade) a branch has been reintegrated into  the trunk. The reintegrate of that branch itself worked without any problems, using the reintegrate feature. But now we get strange errors when trying to reintegrate any other branch. SVN complains about some versions not having been merged into the branch. For instance, a branch created 6 months ago cannot be merged because SVN claims that it misses revisions from another branch which was created 2 years ago and reintegrated 1.5 years ago (that is, the branch created 6 months ago does already contain all those changesets). The same happens with newer branches (2 months old) which have received changes from trunk by merging: SVN claims that they cannot be reintegrated due to missing changesets, even though all changes on the trunk have been merged into the branch.

I already figured out that something is wrong with the svn:mergeinfo property. The trunk did not have any such property until the aforementioned first reintegrate of a branch. Since then, it has the property, though it does not list up every reintegration of branches (missing especially those performed using 1.4.x clients).

Now the question is: how do I fix this such that reintegrating branches becomes possible again? I already tried the following: for the error message

Error: Reintegrate can only be used if revisions 4082 through 4304 were previously

Error: merged from

Error: https://servername:port/svn/repository/trunk to the

Error: reintegrate source, but this is not the case:

Error: branches/ude_xml_merge

Error: Missing ranges: /trunk:4100-4105,4292-4294

I tried to simply merge from trunk revision 4082 to revision 4304 into the branch (that is, specifying this as a parameter for the merge; all the changesets from that range had already been merged into the branch). That did not change any file content, but fixed the svn:mergeinfo property for most of the files. However, it left the property of a few files unchanged, and so the problems remain. Is there any way of forcing SVN to consider these files as having been merged?

Best regards

Dominique Gückel

--
Dipl.-Inform. Dominique Marcel Gückel
RWTH Aachen, Lehrstuhl Informatik 11 - Software für eingebettete Systeme

RE: Synchronising svn config files on Windows PCs

Posted by Bert Huijben <rh...@sharpsvn.net>.

On Windows you can also use the registry to publish Subversion settings.
When your organization uses group policies it's usually easier to use these
settings than the specific config files.

See
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.5/svn.advanced.confarea.html#svn.advanced.c
onfarea.windows-registry for more details

	Bert

Re: Synchronising svn config files on Windows PCs

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Posted by "Todd C. Gleason" <tg...@impac.com>.

<Da...@eu.nec.com>
> wrote:
> > Thanks to everyone who responded to my question.

> > I'll go with this solution, as the registry solution is more
> complicated.
> >
> > There are a couple of details that I would like to ask about:
> >
> > Firstly:
> >
> >> If the user already has the latest version, it's not overlaid.
> >
> > Andy, how do you do this check?
>
> It's something in ZENWorks, which I've never used. I handed the config
> file to my co-worker who does that voodoo and gave him the parameters.
>
> > Secondly:
> >
> > I would do the copy directly from the config file's url. However, I
have
> used the $Id$ keyword at the top of the config file so that I can
quickly
> determine its revision. In my understanding, a copy from the url will
not
> expand that keyword. Is there any way to expand the keyword apart from
> checking out the file into a working copy?

We do a similar thing using Python:  Pull down the config file (using
svn cat), compare it to the user's config file, and if different, prompt
to overwrite it.  So we don't actually have a working copy for the
config file, but it is stored in a Subversion repository.

We do this from a script that pulls down a build, which most users run
frequently enough that I'm not too concerned that a few may have a
slightly out-of-date version.

Re: Synchronising svn config files on Windows PCs

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 09:47, David Aldrich <Da...@eu.nec.com> wrote:
> Thanks to everyone who responded to my question.
>
>> > The easiest method is to add a copy statement to the user's login
>> > script.
>
> I'll go with this solution, as the registry solution is more complicated.
>
> There are a couple of details that I would like to ask about:
>
> Firstly:
>
>> If the user already has the latest version, it's not overlaid.
>
> Andy, how do you do this check?

It's something in ZENWorks, which I've never used. I handed the config
file to my co-worker who does that voodoo and gave him the parameters.

> Secondly:
>
> I would do the copy directly from the config file's url. However, I have used the $Id$ keyword at the top of the config file so that I can quickly determine its revision. In my understanding, a copy from the url will not expand that keyword. Is there any way to expand the keyword apart from checking out the file into a working copy?

Keyword expansion is a client operation, and is done on checkout & export.

RE: Synchronising svn config files on Windows PCs

Posted by David Aldrich <da...@eu.nec.com>.

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 08:09, Bolstridge, Andrew
<an...@intergraph.com> wrote:
> The easiest method is to add a copy statement to the user's login
> script.

I've set up exactly this. Upon login, ZENWorks checks for the
existence of %APPDATA%\Subversion and if it's there, copies a standard
config file into it. If the user already has the latest version, it's
not overlaid.

Posted by "Bolstridge, Andrew" <an...@intergraph.com>.