Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Jonathan Carlson <ja...@katun.com> on 2003/01/07 23:43:35 UTC

JMX or Phoenix?

Have any of the maintainers considered using JMX or Phoenix for enhancing manageability of JMeter?

Last fall JavaWorld had an article with some source code on getting CPU% statistics.  It would seem to be relatively easy to put it into a JMX bean and deploy it on the server JVM (assuming it supported JMX).  That way JMeter could record how hard it was making the server process work.

The CPU stuff could be done without making any changes to JMeter, but I've just been rediscovering Avalon Phoenix.  It's usually billed as a server framework, but it seems that JMeter could use a lot of the features in Phoenix (thread management, etc) and end up with a more robust system.  JAMES is written on top of Phoenix.

Well, I really don't know.  I'm just throwing the idea out there.  It may not be as great of an idea as it seems at the moment.

Jonathan