Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org> on 2020/08/26 14:47:38 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 12.1 (vote candidate 1)

Dear community,

This is our first voting candidate for the 12.1 release of Apache
NetBeans. It is built off the same commit as 12.1-beta4. Please note
all requirements below for validating sources and convenience binaries
before voting.

Apache NetBeans 12.1 constitutes all clusters in the Apache NetBeans
Git repo, which together provide the NetBeans Platform (i.e., the
underlying application framework), as well as all the modules that
provide the Java SE, Java EE, PHP, JavaScript and Groovy features of
Apache NetBeans.

Build artefacts are available here :
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/netbeans/netbeans/12.1/vc1
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/netbeans/netbeans-platform/12.1/vc1

They were built by the Jenkins pipeline and moved to their place :
https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Netbeans/job/netbeans-TLP/job/netbeans/job/release121/13/

We are primarily voting on :
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/netbeans/netbeans/12.1/vc1/netbeans-12.1-source.zip

SHA512 :
0282eb2542212a9ac360ab63fc65653be8e1473a1dc862bf08cfc36aa915d70a561c6afe0c6b15c3bc238a411777b8e2698a3dd7c26a40b3270ab63809ed7547
 ./netbeans-12.1-source.zip

KEYS file :
https://downloads.apache.org/netbeans/KEYS

--

Associated to the primary source item you will have (generated with
pipeline mentioned above)

* under https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/netbeans/netbeans-platform/12.1/vc1
you will find platform cluster build
netbeans-platform-12.1-bin.zip
netbeans-platform-12.1-source.zip

--

Apache NetBeans Git Repo tag : 12.1-vc1 :
https://github.com/apache/netbeans/tree/12.1-vc1

Release specific wiki page :
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Apache+NetBeans+12.1

--

Voting requirements

Before voting +1 you are required to download the signed source code
package, compile it as provided, and test the resulting executable on
your own platform, along with also verifying that the package meets
the requirements of the ASF policy on releases - see
http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html#management

In particular, you should (at least) follow these steps.

1. Download the artefact to be voted on and unzip it.

2. Check that the artefact does not contain any jar files, except for:
    - platform/autoupdate.services/test/unit/src/org/netbeans/api/autoupdate/data/empty.jar
    - enterprise/glassfish.common/test/unit/data/nottaDir-4_1_2.jar
    - enterprise/glassfish.common/test/unit/data/subdir/nottaDir-5.0.jar
    - enterprise/payara.common/test/unit/data/nottaDir-4_1_2.jar
    - enterprise/payara.common/test/unit/data/subdir/nottaDir-5.0.jar
    which are only jars by their name

3. Verify the cryptographic signatures, the NOTICE and LICENSE file

4. Build it using the README provided by the artefact.

5. Look in nbbuild/netbeans for the NetBeans installation created by
the build process and try running it.

In addition to checking the sources, you should check the associated
convenience binary zips and nbms at the artefact links above.
As well as checking any artefact functions correctly, you should check
that it has been correctly signed by a PMC member, and that the source
being voted on is sufficient to build the relevant binary.

Separate votes will be held on other convenience binaries, including
installers and Maven artefacts. Those will be dependent on this vote
passing.

This vote is going to be open at least 72 hours, vote with +1, 0, and
-1 as usual. (please justify -1)

Please mark your vote with (binding) if you're an Apache NetBeans PMC
member to help with voting admin.

NetBeans 12.1 will be released if and when this vote passes.

Thank you to all contributors for all your hard work!

Best wishes,

Neil
Release Manager for Apache NetBeans 12.1

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 12.1 (vote candidate 1)

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
OK, thanks all.  This vote is now closed.

Best wishes,

Neil

Posted by Arunava Sinha <ar...@oracle.com>.
+1(binding)

Posted by Glenn Holmer <ce...@kolabnow.com.INVALID>.
On 8/26/20 9:47 AM, Neil C Smith wrote:
> This is our first voting candidate for the 12.1 release of Apache
> NetBeans. It is built off the same commit as 12.1-beta4. Please note
> all requirements below for validating sources and convenience binaries
> before voting.

+1 (binding)

Verified sha512sum and Neil's crypto signature on netbeans-12.1-bin.zip
and netbeans-12.1-source.zip.

Verified no jars present except those specified.

Built from source under JDK 11.0.8 using "ant -Dpermit.jdk9.builds=true
build".

Did light testing of both source build and binary on projects I'd worked
on during the betas.

(Previously tested Linux installer on beta 4, which properly created
desktop icons and menu entries for KDE, Mate, and XFCE.)

--
Glenn Holmer (Linux registered user #16682)

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 12.1 (vote candidate 1)

Posted by Ludovic HOCHET <lh...@gmail.com>.
+1

built with OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build
11.0.8-internal+10-adhoc.Ludovic.jdk11u)
built default ant target
ran with OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 16-internal+13-adhoc.Ludovic.jdk)
tried Java SE 16 app

On Wed, 26 Aug 2020 at 16:48, Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org> wrote:

> [...]
> As well as checking any artefact functions correctly, you should check
> that it has been correctly signed by a PMC member, and that the source
> being voted on is sufficient to build the relevant binary.
>
> Separate votes will be held on other convenience binaries, including
> installers and Maven artefacts. Those will be dependent on this vote
> passing.
>
> This vote is going to be open at least 72 hours, vote with +1, 0, and
> -1 as usual. (please justify -1)
>
> Please mark your vote with (binding) if you're an Apache NetBeans PMC
> member to help with voting admin.
>
> NetBeans 12.1 will be released if and when this vote passes.
>
> Thank you to all contributors for all your hard work!
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Neil
> Release Manager for Apache NetBeans 12.1

Ludovic

"Les formes qui differencient les etres importent peu
 si leur pensees s'unissent pour batir un univers..."
 Yoko Tsuno (in 'Les titans' by Roger Leloup)
 [The shapes that differenciate beings are not important
 if their thoughts unite to build a universe]

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 12.1 (vote candidate 1)

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

Checked:

- Checksums: Ok
- Signatures: Ok
- NOTICE file: Ok
- Built on OpenJDK 1.8 Linux: Ok
- Snap package: Ok
- Tested with Gradle and Open JFX project, the experience got much better

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 26 Aug 2020 at 15:47, Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org> wrote:
> This is our first voting candidate for the 12.1 release of Apache
> NetBeans. It is built off the same commit as 12.1-beta4. Please note
> all requirements below for validating sources and convenience binaries
> before voting.

And a +1 (binding) from me.

Just had a long weekend here - I'll round up the voting later this
afternoon.  Looks like we're good to go, but still a few hours if you
want to add yours!

Thanks all!

Best wishes,

Neil

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 12.1 (vote candidate 1)

Posted by Josh Juneau <ju...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

- Verified signature and SHA512 of sourde
- Built using OpenJDK Runtime Environment (Zulu 8.42.0.23-CA-macosx) (build
1.8.0_232-b18)
- Tested Java EE:  Activated, added Payara Server, opened project
- NOTICE and LICENSE look good

Thanks!

Josh Juneau
juneau001@gmail.com
http://jj-blogger.blogspot.com
https://www.apress.com/us/search?query=Juneau
<https://www.apress.com/index.php/author/author/view/id/1866>

Posted by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Patrik Karlström <pa...@trixon.se>.
Thank you Neil and everyone else involved so far in one way or another.

+1

All steps ok
- Verified checksum
- Found no unexpected jar files
- Verified cryptographic, read NOTICE & LICENSE file
- Built with JDK 8
- Did an Ant based Hello World.
Besides that I'm always on the edge channel of the snap.

Posted by Kai Uwe Pel <ka...@asia.com>.
+1

Tested, and it works well.

Kai

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

Build succeeded.

openjdk version "1.8.0_252"

OpenJDK Runtime Environment (Zulu 8.46.0.19-CA-macosx) (build 1.8.0_252-b14)

OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (Zulu 8.46.0.19-CA-macosx) (build 25.252-b14,
mixed mode)

I then did my personal three most important scenarios:

1. Ran on the above JDK 8 via 'ant tryme', installed nb-javac, then created
a Maven application and set the application to JDK 14, and was then able to
use text blocks and the "Enable Preview" hint in the Java Editor. Awesome.

2. Created a Maven Web application, chose GlassFish, and was then able to
choose "Jakarta EE 8 Web", and ended up with, among other things, the below
in my POM automatically, great:

<dependencies>
<dependency>
<groupId>jakarta.platform</groupId>
<artifactId>jakarta.jakartaee-api</artifactId>
<version>${jakarta.jakartaee-api.version}</version>
<scope>provided</scope>
</dependency>
        <dependency>
            <groupId>org.eclipse.microprofile</groupId>
            <artifactId>microprofile</artifactId>
            <version>${microprofile.version}</version>
            <type>pom</type>
            <scope>provided</scope>
        </dependency>
<dependency>
<groupId>org.junit.jupiter</groupId>
<artifactId>junit-jupiter</artifactId>
<version>${junit-jupiter.version}</version>
<scope>test</scope>
</dependency>
<dependency>
<groupId>org.mockito</groupId>
<artifactId>mockito-core</artifactId>
<version>${mockito-core.version}</version>
<scope>test</scope>
</dependency>
</dependencies>

3. Ran the two Gluon JavaFX templates, after starting from the executable
(i.e., wasn't using 'ant tryme') and enabling JavaFX as prompted, both
worked out of the box.

So, it's looking really great. Thanks Neil!

Gj

Posted by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Jose Ch <pe...@gmail.com>.
+1

Built with Eclipse OpenJ9 VM (openj9-0.21.0-jdk8u265-b01)

Posted by John Mc <mc...@gmail.com>.
+1 (Binding)

Posted by Junichi Yamamoto <ju...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Constantin DRABO <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hello everyone;
Tested in environment :
 - AdoptJDK 1.8
- MacOS Catalina

Compilation resultat : OK
Documentation (Readme, Notice, Licence) : OK
Projects : JavaSE application , JavaEE 8 application with Payara and Glassfish ,  HTML5/Javascript application. All done

+1 for me
Constantin