Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by David Le Strat <dl...@yahoo.com> on 2003/12/29 02:42:54 UTC

[J2] Service Framework Proposal

All,

We had quite a few threads on the service framework
topic, IRC sessions regarding Cornerstone.  In order
for J2 to shine, the Jetspeed developers community
needs to come to a consensus and a decision around a
service framework for Jetspeed.

I have prepared a document (zip file enclosed) that
tries to articulate what J2 needs from a service
framework and proposes a direction.  That should help
provide a basis for a discussion that hopefully will
lead to a decision / vote on the best alternative for
the future of Jetspeed.

Regards,

David Le Strat.

http://photos.yahoo.com/

Re: [J2] Service Framework Proposal

Posted by David Le Strat <dl...@yahoo.com>.
Glenn,

Some more details:

- JMX: java management extensions.

Here is a good overview of JMX:
http://www.ebizq.net/topics/objects_components/features/1738.html

It basically allows you to manage your components once
deployed.

- Self contained, self configurable component: what i
mean by that a component and its functionality can be
encapsulated as a "jar" file and easily reused.  Let's
take the persistence component (in J2 the persistence
plugin), assuming that you can just include the jar
file with its metadata when deploying that component,
it becomes straightforward to leverage it in the
portal framework and in portlets independently from
the portal framework. This is one possible scenario,
many others are possible.  A little bit what EJBs are
trying to achieve but wihtout the overhead.

Regards,

David.

Posted by "Glenn R. Golden" <gg...@umich.edu>.
David -

Posted by David Le Strat <dl...@yahoo.com>.
Glenn,

Posted by David Le Strat <dl...@yahoo.com>.
Tim,

I actually looked into OSGI a bit.  For those who need
an overview, check:

http://www.osgi.org/resources/spec_overview.asp

I looked in particular at Oscar and the new plugin
eclipse framework Equinox based on OSGI as well.

http://oscar-osgi.sourceforge.net/
http://www.eclipse.org/equinox/

OSGI seemed initially designed to target the embedded
device market and has evolved over time to make it
into Eclipse (v3) and other projects.

It did not seems completely obvious to me how to
bootstrap those type of containers in a web
application and what benefits would be derived from
using that type of containers (I believe they mostly
rely on type 2 IoC) as opposed to the ones outlined in
the proposal.

I would be very interested in knowing if you see any
specific benefits in using such containers.  There
really seems to be only 2 options out there (Oscar and
Equinox).

Regards,

David.

Posted by Tim Price <tp...@iupui.edu>.
Yes, very good proposal.

Posted by "Suchisubhra Sinha (susinha)" <su...@cisco.com>.
If you need any help  from  me lemme know.

~suchi

We will start implementation now.  Will do Cornerstone JMX first and
then Cornerstone Customization for PicoContainer.

Jun

Posted by Jun Yang <ju...@cisco.com>.

Posted by Emad Benjamin <eb...@cisco.com>.
At 08:17 AM 2/9/2004 -0700, BaTien Duong wrote:
>Jun Yang wrote:
>
>>Cornerstone JMX is ready for use.
>>
>>I have checked in cornerstone-jmx-demo under jakarta-jetspeed-2.  I will
>>be checking in cornerstone-jmx after I merge the changes into
>>cornerstone.  jetspeed-cornerstone-jmx-1.0.jar is checked in under
>>cornerstone-jmx-demo as a temporary measure to let the demo run.  Read
>>how-to-run.txt.  The demo shows how simple it is to use Cornerstone JMX
>>to put any object under the management of JMX.
>
>Hello Jun
>
>It's great. There are so many excellent things going on with open
>technologies and i cannot find time to get back to J2 and Pluto. Anyway, i
>have a quick and simple question regarding to JMX implementation. Would
>you please shed some light on the current implementation in relation to
>standard JMX in J2SE 1.5

I did a quick review of the JMX APIs in J2SE1.5 and I see that they have a
good wide coverage of the JMX set, but I couldn't see where they have made
it easier for a java.lang.Object to be auto-JMX-ed.  I think long term we
can compliment the J2Se1.5 by adding our solution as a helper class.

Here is some background information:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/relnotes/features.html

http://www.developer.com/java/data/article.php/2213791 <--- article on what
Sun plans to do

http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/releases/j2se15/ <---
scroll down to manageability

Posted by BaTien Duong <ba...@dbgroups.com>.
Hello Jun and Emad

Thanks.

BaTien
DBGROUPS

Posted by Jun Yang <ju...@cisco.com>.
Hi BaTien,

Posted by BaTien Duong <ba...@dbgroups.com>.

Posted by Jun Yang <ju...@cisco.com>.
Thanks, David!  Will let you know if we need any help.

Jun

[J2] OJB Plugin Issue

Posted by David Le Strat <dl...@yahoo.com>.
I committed the security service code and have been
running in issues with the OJB plugin.  I am not sure
why but if I use OJBPB, the security service tests
fail, but pass if I use OJBODMG.  However, when I use
OJBODMG, the following test failed.

<!-- Excluded due to persistence plugin issues -->

<exclude>org/apache/jetspeed/deployment/TestSimpleDeployment.java</exclude>

<exclude>org/apache/jetspeed/services/registry/TestRegistry.java</exclude>

<exclude>org/apache/jetspeed/tools/pamanager/TestPortletDescriptor.java</exclude>
<!-- End Excluded due to persistence plugin issues -->

I excluded them from running for now (I wanted to
validated my commit).  Any ideas on what could be
wrong?

Regards,

David.

CVS Commit Question

Posted by David Le Strat <dl...@yahoo.com>.
Hello there,

Just wanted to quickly ask a question to this list to
see if any of you knew how to work around a problem I
am running into when trying to commit code.

On commit action, I am getting a "Pre-commit check
failed error", I can create directories fine but the
above error is thrown when trying to commit files.
Any suggestion?

Best regards,

David Le Strat.

Re: [J2] Service Framework Proposal

Posted by David Le Strat <dl...@yahoo.com>.
Jun, Emad,

Posted by Jun Yang <ju...@cisco.com>.

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.

Posted by Jun Yang <ju...@cisco.com>.
David Le Strat wrote:

>Thanks Jun.
>This sounds like quite a great and promising use of
>Cornerstone.  JMX support for all components will be
>quite nice.
>
>I have a few questions.
>
>Use case:
>Let's say we have a persistence service (e.g with
>several methods add, delete, query, etc.).
>Another service, for instance registry, needs to use
>the persistence service for building the portal
>registry.
>
>1. From a configuration stand point, will we be able
>to package persistence and registry as 2 self
>contained jar file where each jar contains the
>configuration required for each service?

Yes.  Each service will have its own config file packaged with it, just
like what you have outlined in your proposal.

>2. Will we be able to centralize the configuration for
>each service? Will we still need to define the
>registry or will it be built from the service
>configuration in order to resolve dependencies?

The config file packaged with a component is its out-of-box
configuration.  If central configration is not available, the component
will be configured just as specified by this config file.  If central
configuration is available, then central configuration is used as an
override for out-of-box configuration.  In another word, central
configuration is optional.  Central configuration enables the support
for preservation of customization and "configuration planes".

>3. How will it support unit testing?  Will we be able
>to only load the service dependencies required for
>unit test?  For instance, to test registry, only the
>persistence service is needed?

Yes.

>As an aside, it may be interesting to look/use Leo
>Simons components TCK, so that we can make sure that
>our components are portable to other containers
>http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/jicarilla/jicarilla-sandbox/platform/container/tck/
>and http://www.jroller.com/page/lsd/20040114

This is very interesting.

>What are you thoughts?
>
>Regards.
>
>David.

Jun

Posted by David Le Strat <dl...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks Jun.

Posted by Jun Yang <ju...@cisco.com>.

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
On Sunday, December 28, 2003, at 05:42  PM, David Le Strat wrote:

> All,
>
> We had quite a few threads on the service framework
> topic, IRC sessions regarding Cornerstone.  In order
> for J2 to shine, the Jetspeed developers community
> needs to come to a consensus and a decision around a
> service framework for Jetspeed.
>
> I have prepared a document (zip file enclosed) that
> tries to articulate what J2 needs from a service
> framework and proposes a direction.  That should help
> provide a basis for a discussion that hopefully will
> lead to a decision / vote on the best alternative for
> the future of Jetspeed.

I checked in the proposal under the docs directory in the jetspeed-2 cvs
Hivemind is interesting. Hopefully the licensing issues will be resolved