Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Jason T. Slack" <ja...@enterpriseutilities.com> on 2005/11/12 01:38:07 UTC

From Websphere to Tomcat --> New to Tomcat

Hello All,

I am new to Tomcat, coming from a Websphere background. I am using
Eclipse with the Tomcat plug-in installed. I can successfully start
the server, everything seems OK so far.

A few questions.

1. On Websphere I had a web.xml file where I would define servlet
entry points, context parameters, etc. I am assuming that I create
this file by hand (Websphere created it automatically) and it goes in
WEB-INF

2. performTask vs doGet - I have always used PerformTask rather than
doGet. But all of the examples I find use doGet. Does Tomcat
recognize PerformTask?

3. I am putting my packages and source in the work Directory

4. Where do JSP pages go?

5. I see that I need to export my project as a .war file. Where does
this .war file go to run it?

6. Is there a way that I can run the .war file from directly in Eclipse?

Thanks for the information.

-jason

Re: From Websphere to Tomcat --> New to Tomcat

Posted by Information Architecture <in...@integraonline.com>.
I am not a very knowledgeable user and am not a java programmer, but I
can actually answer a couple of these questions.

1.  The web.xml file for your application typically goes in the lib
directory under WEB-INF, which is under the container you have created
for your application.  The typical thing is to create a container under
webapps, say call it "newapp".  Then your WEB-INF goes under there, and
the lib directory with the web.xml file under that.

3.  You should not be putting things in the work directory.  Tomcat
automatically puts what it needs to from the application there and
sometimes you need to clean up that directory in order to get a new
version of the code running, but it should not be where your code resides.

4.  JSPs typically go in the same "newapp" directory webapps as a 'jsp'
directory on the same level as WEB-INF.

5.  There was a recent post about war files, you can refer to the
archives and find it.  It was a couple days ago.

Good luck, hope this helped a bit.

Becky