Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Robert P. J. Day" <rp...@crashcourse.ca> on 2009/01/21 21:40:12 UTC

Weird merge error: " has different repository root"

For weeks now, I've been using "merge" to pull over commits one at a
time from one repo to my working copy of a different repo, manually
fixing any conflicts, then committing.

  Just today, doing what's worked for all that time, one of the files
in a commit involving several files gave me an error of "<filaA> has
different repository root than <fileB>".

  well, yes, of *course* it does -- that's the whole point of my
pulling merges across from one repo to another.  so why would that
error occur?  doing a "--dry-run" of the merge doesn't complain about
that file -- it just shows that the file would be "A"dded.

  so what should i be looking for?  subversion 1.4.3, sadly.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
    Have classroom, will lecture.

Re: Weird merge error: " has different repository root"

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jan 21, 2009, at 15:40, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> For weeks now, I've been using "merge" to pull over commits one at a
> time from one repo to my working copy of a different repo, manually
> fixing any conflicts, then committing.
>
>   Just today, doing what's worked for all that time, one of the files
> in a commit involving several files gave me an error of "<filaA> has
> different repository root than <fileB>".
>
>   well, yes, of *course* it does -- that's the whole point of my
> pulling merges across from one repo to another.  so why would that
> error occur?  doing a "--dry-run" of the merge doesn't complain about
> that file -- it just shows that the file would be "A"dded.
>
>   so what should i be looking for?  subversion 1.4.3, sadly.

It did not used to be supported to merge across different
repositories, only within a single repository.

Definitely update to Subversion 1.5.5 first and see if that helps.