Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org> on 2005/10/26 14:55:17 UTC

[Axis2] Servlet2.3 support

I am trying to fix axis2 to work on servlets 2.3 again. Step one,
(uncommited) is to bind the build to servletapi-2.3.jar, and not geronimo.

This shows up the sole problem as ServletBasedOutTransportInfo, which is
used in

CommonsHTTPTransportSender. invoke

                         omOutput.setSoap11(msgContext.isSOAP11());

transportInfo.setCharacterEncoding(omOutput.getCharSetEncoding());

transportInfo.setContentType(omOutput.getContentType());

As the javadocs say on setCharacterEncoding

"Calling setContentType(java.lang.String) with the String  of text/html
and calling this method with the String of UTF-8  is equivalent with
calling setContentType with the String of text/html; charset=UTF-8."

Doing this makes CommonsHttpTransportSender as follows:
                         String encoding= omOutput.getContentType() +";
charset="+ omOutput.getCharSetEncoding();
                         transportInfo.setContentType(encoding);

Which will still work. Question is, what to do about
ServletBasedOutTransportInfo? Delete the setCharacterEncoding entirely,
or downgrade it to a no-op. Nobody is using the method once the change
above is applied.

Re: [Axis2] Servlet2.3 support

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 13:55 +0100, Steve Loughran wrote:
>
>>Which will still work. Question is, what to do about
>>ServletBasedOutTransportInfo? Delete the setCharacterEncoding entirely,
>>or downgrade it to a no-op. Nobody is using the method once the change
>>above is applied.
>

> IMO: Delete the method if its not being used. Leaving it as a no-op will
> lead to future problems.

OK

Re: [Axis2] Servlet2.3 support

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 13:55 +0100, Steve Loughran wrote:
> Which will still work. Question is, what to do about
> ServletBasedOutTransportInfo? Delete the setCharacterEncoding entirely,
> or downgrade it to a no-op. Nobody is using the method once the change
> above is applied.

IMO: Delete the method if its not being used. Leaving it as a no-op will
lead to future problems.

Sanjiva.