Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> on 2004/12/20 16:23:54 UTC

Documentation Roadmap

Documentation for 1.3++ has come up in a couple of threads, and I wanted to jot something down before I forgot.

In the 1.3.x series, we are moving taglibs to a separate project, which gives us a chance to revisit the documentation.

For core, I would like to use the DTD as the basis for the documentation. (We even have an enhancement ticket to do so.) Sections 0 and 1 of the User Guide could stay as is, but after that, we could march through each element the DTD, combining the existing DTD material with stuff we have scattered throughout sections 2 - 4. (In other words, expand 5 to incorporate 2-4.)

 0 - Preface
 1 - Introduction
 2 - struts-config.xml
 3 - Form Beans
 4 - Exceptions
 5- Forwards
 6 - Action Mappings
 7 - Action
 8 - Controller
 9 - Messager Resources
10 - Plug Ins
11 - web.xml
12 - Getting Started

Then do the same for the Validator and Tiles DTDs.

>>From an all-important maintenance perspective, we would update, add, or delete User Guide sections as corresponding changes are made to the DTD elements.

When available, we could also link to corresponding Developer Guides (JavaDoc package descrptions). Right now, we have these for the Validator and Util package, but we should also have Developer Guides for Action, Config, and Upload, to help pull people into our very excellent JavaDocs.

Again, from a maintenance perspective, we would update, add, or delete Developers Guides as changes are made to the corresponding Java packages.

* User Guide == DTD
* Developers Guide == Java Packages

For taglibs, what we have works for me. We could just move the Bean, HTML, Logic, Nested, and Tiles Developer Guides and API references into the new subproject, and add an overview.

-Ted.

Re: Documentation Roadmap

Posted by Eddie Bush <ea...@gmail.com>.
Seems an odd order for me.  I would think a person would want to see
it from general to specific.  To acheive this, it seems like we'd
proceed more like:

0 - Preface
1 - Introduction
2 - web.xml - Some blurbage about the role of this file in Struts operations.
2.1 - Relevant elements of config from here
.
.
.
2.x - ... through here
3 - struts-config.xml - Some blurbage about the role of this file in
Struts operations.
3.1 - Elements of config from here
.
.
.
3.x - ... through here.
4 - Getting Started

*shrug* The important thing is that there is documentation that
accurately reflects the state of the project (like you said).  The
form, for those really willing to look, is less important.

--
Eddie Bush

Re: Documentation Roadmap

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
We can still provide FAQs and HOW-TOs, as we do now.

* http://struts.apache.org/faqs/index.html

But as to the foundation documents for each subproject, we need to recognize that our resources are extremely limited.

The User Guide as it stands is very hard to keep current, and Committers are always wondering where to document some new task.

-Ted.

Re: Documentation Roadmap

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@steitz.com>.

Re: Documentation Roadmap

Posted by Dakota Jack <da...@gmail.com>.
You know what really is helpful for newbies, in my opinion?  A really,
really good overview that gives them a sense of what the big picture
is.  This layout helps that, in my opinion.  I realize, however, that
different people think differently about these things.

Jack

------------------------------

~Dakota Jack~

~Native Proverb~

"This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose, or take any action based
on this message or any information herein. If you have received this

Re: Documentation Roadmap

Posted by Hubert Rabago <hr...@gmail.com>.
Actually, I agree with Eddie that this may not be so intuitive for
newbies.  However, this would be great for those with a basic
understanding of Struts but looking for clarification on certain
things.  For instance, when I respond to user questions with something
I say is generally recommended, I like to specify a link to the manual
where the recommendation is made.  The current version doesn't make
finding stuff very easy, but this layout could.

Like Ted said, for newbies who are really just starting out, the FAQs
and HOW-TOs might be a better starting point.

Hubert

Re: Documentation Roadmap

Posted by Dakota Jack <da...@gmail.com>.