Posted to user@zookeeper.apache.org by esamanas <ev...@gmail.com> on 2015/01/23 19:54:50 UTC

Will Zookeeper C source compile with mingw on Windows?

Hi,

As the title states, I'm trying to compile zookeeper (or at least, the stuff
in src/c) with MinGW (mingw-w64, gcc 4.9.2) and MSYS2.

I was able to get configure to complete by adding the flag
--build=x86_64-w64-mingw32, as I can with many other projects.  However,
when I try to compile I get a very large number of errors.  I suspect many
of them actually aren't zookeepers problem, but through them I found that
include/winstdint.h has these lines:

#ifndef _MSC_VER // [
#error "Use this header only with Microsoft Visual C++ compilers!"
#endif // _MSC_VER ]

and that include/winconfig.h just automatically includes this file, not
checking for mingw or cygwin or anything.  Through that it seems pretty
obvious that the Windows compile is constrained to using Visual Studio, but
I just want to hear from someone familiar with Zookeeper that compiling this
way is indeed not supported.  I tried to search for evidence of this on the
internet, and only got this 5 year old thread:
http://zookeeper-user.578899.n2.nabble.com/c-client-on-win32-td4039331.html

So for the benefit of me and the Internet:

Is compiling Zookeeper's C source with mingw (or any other compiler other
than Visual Studio) on Windows supported?

If not, are there fundamental reasons for this?

Thank you,

Evan

RE: Will Zookeeper C source compile with mingw on Windows?

Posted by Flavio Junqueira <fp...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
I've only done it with Visual Studio.

-Flavio