Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Jim Blandy <ji...@savonarola.red-bean.com> on 2000/08/22 22:43:30 UTC

Generating messages for APR_OS_START_USERR-range codes

If I understand things correctly, error values in the range
APR_OS_START_USEERR to APR_OS_START_USEERR + 499 are available for use
by the application using APR.

What's the appropriate way to provide messages for those error codes?
Is there any way to make apr_strerror return something helpful for a
user-defined error code?  Or is the user's error-handling code
supposed to check for its own error values before calling
apr_strerror?

Re: Generating messages for APR_OS_START_USERR-range codes

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@newton.collab.net>.
Jim Blandy <ji...@savonarola.red-bean.com> writes:

> If I understand things correctly, error values in the range
> APR_OS_START_USEERR to APR_OS_START_USEERR + 499 are available for use
> by the application using APR.

Yes.

> What's the appropriate way to provide messages for those error codes?
> Is there any way to make apr_strerror return something helpful for a
> user-defined error code?  Or is the user's error-handling code
> supposed to check for its own error values before calling
> apr_strerror?

Funny you should mention that... Karl and I were *just* talking about
this issue today.  Notice that we just changed svn_handle_error() so
that it would bother to differentiate between a general APR error
vs. a SVN-specific error.  But the APR-error section has its own
apr_strerror() routine.  Perhaps we should imitate with our own
svn_strerror()... just look up the svn errorcode in a static array of
strings.