Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Petar Tahchiev <pa...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/27 18:41:21 UTC

[VOTE] JMeter + Cactus + ... -> Testing TLP

Hi guys, it's Petar.

I wanted to talk to you about an idea I found in the mailing list archives
lately[1]. I spoke with Felipe
Leme and he told me that once, he tried to move all the testing related
apache projects to a new TLP
project under the domain: http://testing.apache.org/ This structure would
contain the two major testing-related
projects in the ASF: Jakarta Cactus and Jakarta JMeter. This structure would
also be a host for all other
testing related projects that would come from the incubator and fulfill the
testing.apache.org policies.
This TLP project would serve as umbrella, like the Jakarta, DB, XML,
Commons, WS (especially), etc ...
There are also lots of other test-related projects, or sub-projects that
come to my mind, and that
would like to come under the the t.a.o project:

- Apache HttpTest Project ( http://httpd.apache.org/test/ )
- Shale Test Framework (http://shale.apache.org/shale-test/index.html )
- Apache Harmony build-test framework
(http://harmony.apache.org/subcomponents/buildtest/index.html
)

The main reason why the initial idea was rejected was that we might have
ended with a dormant
TLP project, which I agree is really bad. But I don't think that will ever
happen: first I have been active on the
Cactus project and I will make a presentation on this year's ApacheCON USA
with the latest changes I
have made. We also plan a release of Cactus by the end of the year. JMeter,
on the other hand has a stable
community of 13 developers,and lots of other contributors.

Another reason for considering moving those projects as a TLP, would be
that: with a central place
for all the testing related ASF software more people will get involved in
the idea, and let's face it - that's
very good for Cactus, as it is somewhat dormant.

Finally I want to to redirect you for additional information to Felipe's
posts, and to the wiki of Jakarta:

[1]http://marc.info/?l=jakarta-general&m=115047715227445&w=2
[2]http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta/TLPCactusAndJMeter/Notes

Waiting for your votes and/or questions, mine is here:
[+1]

--
Regards, Petar!
Karlovo, Bulgaria.

EOOXML objections
http://www.grokdoc.net/index.php/EOOXML_objections

Public PGP Key at:
http://keyserver.linux.it/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1A15B53B761500F9
Key Fingerprint: AA16 8004 AADD 9C76 EF5B  4210 1A15 B53B 7615 00F9

Re: [discuss] JMeter + Cactus + ... -> Testing TLP

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.
Hello Petar,

please start vote threads for voting on proposals, not to
initiate a discussion. I've seen it mentioned that Jakarta
is way too vote-happy.
There was some discussion of the idea on this mailing list
more than a year ago, see the threads at [1], [2].
The key items I remember are:

- Umbrella projects are not well received by the board.
- "Testing" is a category, not a project scope. [3]

To avoid re-iterating the same arguments again, I suggest
the following steps:

1) everyone read through the old discussions
2) define a project scope that includes JMeter and Cactus,
   but preferably no existing TLP or large subproject
3) choose a project name that is not a category
4) go TLP and show that the project works

Once the new project is up and running, it is still time to
attract other subprojects, or to adjust the project scope.
I've made suggestions for 2 just before the previous
discussion ceased.[4] There were also some name suggestions.

cheers,
  Roland

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jakarta-general/200606.mbox/%3cPine.LNX.4.61.0606060341300.30383@kongo%3e