Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by John Calcote <jc...@novell.com> on 2006/03/13 19:35:51 UTC

Re: How to define a keyword similar to "id" but without author?

Sorry to hijack this thread - I hope I don't do any damage to the
original question, but I'd like to add a comment along the same lines:

Subversion has been very well designed - it makes good use of concept
and code reuse. It would be nice if a more generic mechanism were
provided to manage keyword replacement. Such a mechanism might make use
of properties to define replacement templates. Then repositories could
define their own keywords for replacement with common information.

On my team, we have used CVS in the past to manage projects where the
developers stored their change log entries for modified files at the top
of the files themselves. Because of the way SVN manages revisions as
directory changes, not file changes, I see that this would be difficult
to implement, but it would be nice to have the ability to define your
own keyword replacement semantics.

John

-----
John Calcote (jcalcote@novell.com)
Sr. Software Engineeer
Novell, Inc.

>>> "Zsolt" <zk...@intland.com> 3/13/2006 12:06:06 pm >>>
Hi,

I would like to define a new keyword that should be nearly the same
like
"id" but is shouldn't contain the author.

I also want to use "id" as keyword thus this is not an option to
modify
"id".

Additionally I would like to add that property to all *.jsp files.

How can I do these things?

Zsolt

Re: How to define a keyword similar to "id" but without author?

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Mar 13, 2006, at 20:35, John Calcote wrote:

> On my team, we have used CVS in the past to manage projects where the
> developers stored their change log entries for modified files at
> the top
> of the files themselves. Because of the way SVN manages revisions as
> directory changes, not file changes, I see that this would be
> difficult
> to implement, but it would be nice to have the ability to define your
> own keyword replacement semantics.

While I don't have any specific objection to arbitrary keyword
substitutions, there is a specific objection to the CVS $Log$ keyword
which is noted here:

http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#log-in-source

Re: How to define a keyword similar to "id" but without author?

Posted by Vincent Starre <vs...@comcast.net>.
I seem to recall a thread or issue which discussed this in detail. Look
on subversion.tigris.org for more details. ( I dont remember anything
other than the fact of "this was discussed")