Posted to user@spark.apache.org by shahid <sh...@trialx.com> on 2015/07/14 15:43:54 UTC

No. of Task vs No. of Executors

hi

I have a 10 node cluster  i loaded the data onto hdfs, so the no. of
partitions i get is 9. I am running a spark application , it gets stuck on
one of tasks, looking at the UI it seems application is not using all nodes
to do calculations. attached is the screen shot of tasks, it seems tasks are
put on each node more then once. looking at tasks 8 tasks get completed
under 7-8 minutes and one task takes around 30 minutes so causing the delay
in results.
<http://apache-spark-user-list.1001560.n3.nabble.com/file/n23824/Screen_Shot_2015-07-13_at_9.png>

Re: No. of Task vs No. of Executors

Posted by David Mitchell <jd...@gmail.com>.
This is likely due to data skew.  If you are using key-value pairs, one key
has a lot more records, than the other keys.  Do you have any groupBy
operations?

David

On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 9:43 AM, shahid <sh...@trialx.com> wrote:

> hi
>
> I have a 10 node cluster  i loaded the data onto hdfs, so the no. of
> partitions i get is 9. I am running a spark application , it gets stuck on
> one of tasks, looking at the UI it seems application is not using all nodes
> to do calculations. attached is the screen shot of tasks, it seems tasks
> are
> put on each node more then once. looking at tasks 8 tasks get completed
> under 7-8 minutes and one task takes around 30 minutes so causing the delay
> in results.
> <
> http://apache-spark-user-list.1001560.n3.nabble.com/file/n23824/Screen_Shot_2015-07-13_at_9.png

### Confidential e-mail, for recipient's (or recipients') eyes only, not
for distribution. ###

Re: No. of Task vs No. of Executors

Posted by shahid ashraf <sh...@trialx.com>.
Thanks All!

thanks Ayan!

I did the repartition to 20 so it used all cores in the cluster and was
done in 3 minutes. seems data was skewed to this partition.

--
with Regards
Shahid Ashraf

Re: No. of Task vs No. of Executors

Posted by ayan guha <gu...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by Gylfi <gy...@berkeley.edu>.
You could even try changing the block size of the input data on HDFS (can be
done on a per file basis) and that would get all workers going right from
the get-go in Spark.