Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com> on 2013/01/10 11:23:16 UTC

Re: Adapt the naming of our project deliverables - "OpenOffice.org" --> "Apache OpenOffice"

Hi,

I have finished the renaming from "OpenOffice.org" to "Apache OpenOffice" - see
issue 121388.

Beside corresponding changes in the user interface this change has impact on the
following important and critical stuff:
- folder/directory names
- package names
- Windows registry key names and values
- ...

As the folder/directory path to the user profile is also changed, the user
profile of a former installed AOO (or OOo) version is not taken over.

If possible, please review the changes in your environment/platform.
I am asking especially our community members working on the BSD platform,
Solaris platform and OS/2 platform to have a deeper look.

minor note:
We are still on version number "3.5.0".
I will work on issue 119977 to adapt the version number to "4.0". I think I will
provide the corresponding patch soon, but I will wait with the integration in
order to have enough time for testing the renaming to "Apache OpenOffice".

Best regards, Oliver.

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

On 10.01.2013 17:08, Rony G. Flatscher (Apache) wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> On 10.01.2013 11:55, Rony G. Flatscher wrote:
>>> Hi Oliver-Rainer,

>>> for installation script purposes of add-ons etc., where can one find the concrete strings for
>>> folder/directory names on the various operating system platforms and the Windows registry key names
>>> and values?
>>>

>> Unfortunately, there is no single place in the source code. I also had not the resources to clean
>> this up during the renaming work - hint, hint, hint :-)
>>
>> Please have a look at issue 121388, the wiki page referenced in one of the issue's comments and
>> the intrinsic changes I have made.
>>
>> The product installation folder is more or less a form of the $PRODUCTNAME + [major version
>> number]. E.g.:
>> - Windows: "Apache OpenOffice 3"
>> - Linux: "apache_openoffice3"
>> On Linux platforms we have also the basis installation folder. It name is found in
>> /main/instsetoo_native/util/openoffice.lst
>>
>> The user profile folder is more or less $PRODUCTNAME/[major version number]/
>>
>> The Windows registry keys and values can be found in module main/scp2/
>>
>> I hope that helps a little bit.
> Thank you very much Oliver, that definitely helps already!
>
> Though because of your hints to modules, what would be the best tool to locate them in your version
> of AOO via the Internet to learn about the concrete strings for the Linux basis installation folder,
> the profile folder, and especially the Windows registry keys and values?

I am not sure, if I got you right.
I assume that you want to know the "best tool" to locate the corresponding
folders of an actual installation of AOO.
I have no tool at hand - I am just looking "manually" in folders which typically
contain "application installations" and "application settings" on the different
platforms.

Best regards, Oliver.

Re: Adapt the naming of our project deliverables - "OpenOffice.org" --> "Apache OpenOffice"

Posted by "Rony G. Flatscher (Apache)" <ro...@apache.org>.

> On 10.01.2013 11:55, Rony G. Flatscher wrote:
>> Hi Oliver-Rainer,
>>
>> On 10.01.2013 11:23, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann wrote:
>>> I have finished the renaming from "OpenOffice.org" to "Apache OpenOffice" - see issue 121388.
>>>
>>> Beside corresponding changes in the user interface this change has impact on the following
>>> important and critical stuff:
>>> - folder/directory names
>>> - package names
>>> - Windows registry key names and values
>>> - ...
>>>
>>> As the folder/directory path to the user profile is also changed, the user profile of a former
>>> installed AOO (or OOo) version is not taken over.
>> for installation script purposes of add-ons etc., where can one find the concrete strings for
>> folder/directory names on the various operating system platforms and the Windows registry key names
>> and values?
>>

> Unfortunately, there is no single place in the source code. I also had not the resources to clean
> this up during the renaming work - hint, hint, hint :-)
>
> Please have a look at issue 121388, the wiki page referenced in one of the issue's comments and
> the intrinsic changes I have made.
>
> The product installation folder is more or less a form of the $PRODUCTNAME + [major version
> number]. E.g.:
> - Windows: "Apache OpenOffice 3"
> - Linux: "apache_openoffice3"
> On Linux platforms we have also the basis installation folder. It name is found in
> /main/instsetoo_native/util/openoffice.lst
>
> The user profile folder is more or less $PRODUCTNAME/[major version number]/
>
> The Windows registry keys and values can be found in module main/scp2/
>
> I hope that helps a little bit.
Thank you very much Oliver, that definitely helps already!

Though because of your hints to modules, what would be the best tool to locate them in your version
of AOO via the Internet to learn about the concrete strings for the Linux basis installation folder,
the profile folder, and especially the Windows registry keys and values?

Best regards,

---rony

Re: Adapt the naming of our project deliverables - "OpenOffice.org" --> "Apache OpenOffice"

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 01/12/2013 12:39 AM, schrieb Dave Fisher:

> On Jan 11, 2013, at 12:05 PM, Marcus (OOo) wrote:

>>> I was thinking about the name and here I mean the name that is used for
>>> the folder etc. The name is used in the help, in tools option, in the
>>> menu...
>>>
>>> We changed "OpenOffice.org" to "Apache OpenOffice" so good so far. But
>>> would it be nicer to shorten the folder, menu entries, ... to simply
>>> OpenOffice
>>>
>>> Folders
>>> Linux: /opt/openoffice4
>>> Mac: OpenOffice.app
>>> Windows: OpenOffice 4
>>>
>>> Tools Option
>>> OpenOffice
>>> OpenOffice Writer
>>> OpenOffice ...
>>>
>>> Help
>>> OpenOffice instead of hundreds of "Apache OpenOffice"
>>>
>>> The idea is that the project and product is called Apache OpenOffice but
>>> in practice we would use in the product the short from OpenOffice. The
>>> intro, start center, about can of course use images where we use "Apache
>>> OpenOffice".
>>>
>>> Well it's just an idea and I know it would require some further work but
>>> now would be the time for it. I believe legally should it be ok today
>>> but it have to checked to be safe.
>>>
>>> What's your opinion?
>>
>> In general a very good idea: Shorter menu entries, etc. and a higher attention of the open source product.
>>
>> And yes, we should get this clarified from trademarks@.
>
> If it is called Apache OpenOffice software or product on first use on certain pages then it is permissible to use short forms like OpenOffice in various places. There is no trouble with that approach. Look at the Apache Hadoop project's home page - http://hadoop.apache.org/

That's fine. Maybe the problem is that I'm still a bit burned from
results that happened in the past. Even with a big name like Sun
Microsystems in the back it was not possible to reolve legal problems to
use "OpenOffice" in the world. And for the commercial product
"StarOffice" it was not possible to use this name in the Asian market,
here the name was "StarSuite" for many years.

Sorry if I'm a bit too paranoid. ;-)

> We should make sure that somewhere we use OpenOffice.org ® for the link to the website to preserve that trademark in certain jurisdictions.

Right.

Marcus

Re: Adapt the naming of our project deliverables - "OpenOffice.org" --> "Apache OpenOffice"

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 12:53 PM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Jan 14, 2013, at 2:46 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann wrote:
>
>> Hi,

>>> If it is called Apache OpenOffice software or product on first use on certain
>>> pages then it is permissible to use short forms like OpenOffice in various
>>> places. There is no trouble with that approach. Look at the Apache Hadoop
>>> project's home page - http://hadoop.apache.org/
>>>
>>> We should make sure that somewhere we use OpenOffice.org ® for the link to
>>> the website to preserve that trademark in certain jurisdictions.
>>>

>> As you might have seen, I also changed "OpenOffice.org website" to "Apache OpenOffice website" in some place of the help content.
>>
>> Dave, do you think we should keep "OpenOffice.org" in such cases?
>
> In order to preserve registered trademark in places like China we have to have places where we show and use OpenOffice.org®.
>
> Using that for the website is one easy and important way to do that.
>
> Is there room for a phase like "The Apache OpenOffice product website at OpenOffice.org®"?

That won't work.  The trademark is registered as:

"Computer software for use in database management, for use as a
spreadsheet, for word processing, that may be downloaded from a global
computer network; computer programs, namely, presentation graphics
programs, that may be downloaded from a global computer network;
software for processing images, graphics and text, that may be
downloaded from a global computer network; software for typesetting of
equations and formulae, that may be downloaded from a global computer
network."

We cannot properly use it as a trademark for a website.  Or at least
using it for the website does not count as continued use of the
trademark as registered.

But isn't it sufficient that we still distribute and support
OpenOffice.org 3.3.0 and earlier?  We still get downloads for earlier
versions.  Our website and forums still deal with earlier versions (in
addition to AOO).  So OpenOffice.org is a trademark still in use by
us.

Regards,

-Rob

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.

>> Hi,
>>
>> On 15.01.2013 16:08, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> It looks like that Jürgen's suggestion does not get any objections,
>>> quite the contrary happened.
>>> Thus, if nobody objects I will reopen issue 121388 and work on it to
>>> adapt the naming as suggested by Jürgen.
>>>

>> Sorry for the long silence on this issue.
>> Two viral flues knocked me out for all together more than two weeks.
>> Thus, I did not find the time to work on it.
>>
>> Now, I am about to start my work on it.
>>
>> My ideas are the following:
>> - Change PRODUCTNAME (in /instsetoo_native/util/openoffice.lst) to
>> "OpenOffice"
>> - Introduce new variable FULLPRODUCTNAME having value "Apache OpenOffice"
>> - Use new variable FULLPRODUCTNAME instead of PRODUCTNAME where
>> appropriate to keep the full product name. These should be only a small
>> amount of replacements - at least I hope.
>> - Check the rest of the other "hard-code" occurences of "Apache
>> OpenOffice" and its variants in the source and adapt them, if needed.
>> - Fix the Linux installation problem - kudos to Ariel for finding the
>> root cause - that the underscore in PRODUCTLIST = apache_openoffice from
>> main/sysui/desktop/productversion.mk causes - see thread "Error (maybe)
>> installing yesterdays daily build"
>>
>> Did I miss anything?
>> Do not hesitate to provide feedback and/or suggestions.
>>

> I will also change the Windows Registry Keys from "Apache OpenOffice" to
> "OpenOffice".

I have almost finish the "renaming adaption" - see the adapting patch
attached to issue 121388.

I have already did some tests on Window 7:
- installation on clean system
- installation on system having AOO 3.4.1
- installation on system having OOo 3.3

I will do some simple tests on my Ubuntu VMs.

I assume that I will commit the changes tomorrow. Then our buildbots
will show may be further problems.

I am requesting that people involved in other platforms and/or testing
should have a look at builds containing these changes. Especially
regarding installation and upgrade.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards, Oliver.

Re: Adapt the naming of our project deliverables - "OpenOffice.org" --> "Apache OpenOffice"

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 7:10 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <
orwittmann@googlemail.com> wrote:

>> Hi,

>>> I was thinking about the name and here I mean the name that is used for
>>> the folder etc. The name is used in the help, in tools option, in the
>>> menu...
>>>
>>> We changed "OpenOffice.org" to "Apache OpenOffice" so good so far. But
>>> would it be nicer to shorten the folder, menu entries, ... to simply
>>> OpenOffice
>>>
>>> Folders
>>> Linux: /opt/openoffice4
>>> Mac: OpenOffice.app
>>> Windows: OpenOffice 4
>>>
>>> Tools Option
>>> OpenOffice
>>> OpenOffice Writer
>>> OpenOffice ...
>>>
>>> Help
>>> OpenOffice instead of hundreds of "Apache OpenOffice"
>>>
>>> The idea is that the project and product is called Apache OpenOffice but
>>> in practice we would use in the product the short from OpenOffice. The
>>> intro, start center, about can of course use images where we use "Apache
>>> OpenOffice".
>>>
>>> Well it's just an idea and I know it would require some further work but
>>> now would be the time for it. I believe legally should it be ok today
>>> but it have to checked to be safe.
>>>
>>> What's your opinion?
>>>

>> It looks like that Jürgen's suggestion does not get any objections,
>> quite the contrary happened.
>> Thus, if nobody objects I will reopen issue 121388 and work on it to
>> adapt the naming as suggested by Jürgen.
>>

> Sorry for the long silence on this issue.
> Two viral flues knocked me out for all together more than two weeks.
> Thus, I did not find the time to work on it.
>
> Now, I am about to start my work on it.
>
> My ideas are the following:
> - Change PRODUCTNAME (in /instsetoo_native/util/**openoffice.lst) to
> "OpenOffice"
> - Introduce new variable FULLPRODUCTNAME having value "Apache OpenOffice"
> - Use new variable FULLPRODUCTNAME instead of PRODUCTNAME where
> appropriate to keep the full product name. These should be only a small
> amount of replacements - at least I hope.
> - Check the rest of the other "hard-code" occurences of "Apache
> OpenOffice" and its variants in the source and adapt them, if needed.
> - Fix the Linux installation problem - kudos to Ariel for finding the root
> cause - that the underscore in PRODUCTLIST = apache_openoffice from
> main/sysui/desktop/productvers**ion.mk <http://productversion.mk> causes
> - see thread "Error (maybe) installing yesterdays daily build"
>
> Did I miss anything?
> Do not hesitate to provide feedback and/or suggestions.
>

> Best regards, Oliver.

This sounds good to me. Take care.

MzK

"Achieving happiness requires the right combination of Zen and Zin."

Re: Adapt the naming of our project deliverables - "OpenOffice.org" --> "Apache OpenOffice"

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.

On 11.01.2013 15:31, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 9:06 AM, Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 1/10/13 3:56 PM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> Unfortunately, there is no single place in the source code. I also had
>>> not the resources to clean this up during the renaming work - hint,
>>> hint, hint :-)
>>>
>>> Please have a look at issue 121388, the wiki page referenced in one of
>>> the issue's comments and the intrinsic changes I have made.
>>>
>>> The product installation folder is more or less a form of the
>>> $PRODUCTNAME + [major version number]. E.g.:
>>> - Windows: "Apache OpenOffice 3"
>>> - Linux: "apache_openoffice3"
>>> On Linux platforms we have also the basis installation folder. It name
>>> is found in /main/instsetoo_native/util/openoffice.lst
>>>
>>> The user profile folder is more or less $PRODUCTNAME/[major version
>>> number]/
>>>
>>> The Windows registry keys and values can be found in module main/scp2/
>>>
>>> I hope that helps a little bit.
>>
>> I was thinking about the name and here I mean the name that is used for
>> the folder etc. The name is used in the help, in tools option, in the
>> menu...
>>
>> We changed "OpenOffice.org" to "Apache OpenOffice" so good so far. But
>> would it be nicer to shorten the folder, menu entries, ... to simply
>> OpenOffice
>>
>> Folders
>> Linux: /opt/openoffice4
>> Mac: OpenOffice.app
>> Windows: OpenOffice 4
>>

> or even OpenOffice4, avoiding a space in the directory name, a source
> of much pain in Windows.

What a space in the application directories name since OOo 3.0.
Thus, I think a "OpenOffice 4" should be no problem.

Best regards, Oliver.

Re: Adapt the naming of our project deliverables - "OpenOffice.org" --> "Apache OpenOffice"

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 01/11/2013 03:31 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
> On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 9:06 AM, Jürgen Schmidt<jo...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On 1/10/13 3:56 PM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> Unfortunately, there is no single place in the source code. I also had
>>> not the resources to clean this up during the renaming work - hint,
>>> hint, hint :-)
>>>
>>> Please have a look at issue 121388, the wiki page referenced in one of
>>> the issue's comments and the intrinsic changes I have made.
>>>
>>> The product installation folder is more or less a form of the
>>> $PRODUCTNAME + [major version number]. E.g.:
>>> - Windows: "Apache OpenOffice 3"
>>> - Linux: "apache_openoffice3"
>>> On Linux platforms we have also the basis installation folder. It name
>>> is found in /main/instsetoo_native/util/openoffice.lst
>>>
>>> The user profile folder is more or less $PRODUCTNAME/[major version
>>> number]/
>>>
>>> The Windows registry keys and values can be found in module main/scp2/
>>>
>>> I hope that helps a little bit.
>>
>> I was thinking about the name and here I mean the name that is used for
>> the folder etc. The name is used in the help, in tools option, in the
>> menu...
>>
>> We changed "OpenOffice.org" to "Apache OpenOffice" so good so far. But
>> would it be nicer to shorten the folder, menu entries, ... to simply
>> OpenOffice
>>
>> Folders
>> Linux: /opt/openoffice4
>> Mac: OpenOffice.app
>> Windows: OpenOffice 4
>>

> or even OpenOffice4, avoiding a space in the directory name, a source
> of much pain in Windows.

even when I nearly don't use any Windows, I support to prevent any error
prone file and directory naming - which was proven many time in the
past, IMHO.

Marcus

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

On 11.01.2013 15:06, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
> On 1/10/13 3:56 PM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 10.01.2013 11:55, Rony G. Flatscher wrote:
>>> Hi Oliver-Rainer,

>>> for installation script purposes of add-ons etc., where can one find
>>> the concrete strings for
>>> folder/directory names on the various operating system platforms and
>>> the Windows registry key names
>>> and values?
>>>

>> Unfortunately, there is no single place in the source code. I also had
>> not the resources to clean this up during the renaming work - hint,
>> hint, hint :-)
>>
>> Please have a look at issue 121388, the wiki page referenced in one of
>> the issue's comments and the intrinsic changes I have made.
>>
>> The product installation folder is more or less a form of the
>> $PRODUCTNAME + [major version number]. E.g.:
>> - Windows: "Apache OpenOffice 3"
>> - Linux: "apache_openoffice3"
>> On Linux platforms we have also the basis installation folder. It name
>> is found in /main/instsetoo_native/util/openoffice.lst
>>
>> The user profile folder is more or less $PRODUCTNAME/[major version
>> number]/
>>
>> The Windows registry keys and values can be found in module main/scp2/
>>
>> I hope that helps a little bit.
>
> I was thinking about the name and here I mean the name that is used for
> the folder etc. The name is used in the help, in tools option, in the
> menu...
>
> We changed "OpenOffice.org" to "Apache OpenOffice" so good so far. But
> would it be nicer to shorten the folder, menu entries, ... to simply
> OpenOffice
>
> Folders
> Linux: /opt/openoffice4
> Mac: OpenOffice.app
> Windows: OpenOffice 4
>
> Tools Option
> OpenOffice
> OpenOffice Writer
> OpenOffice ...
>
> Help
> OpenOffice instead of hundreds of "Apache OpenOffice"
>
> The idea is that the project and product is called Apache OpenOffice but
> in practice we would use in the product the short from OpenOffice. The
> intro, start center, about can of course use images where we use "Apache
> OpenOffice".
>
> Well it's just an idea and I know it would require some further work but
> now would be the time for it. I believe legally should it be ok today
> but it have to checked to be safe.
>
> What's your opinion?

I think this is a good idea.
I think other Apache project do the same - as Dave already pointed out.

When I did the intrinsic renaming I was not making up my mind too deeply. I had
more concerns on finishing the renaming ;-)

I would volunteer to provide a patch for adapting the naming from "Apache
OpenOffice" to "OpenOffice".

Best regards, Oliver.

Re: Adapt the naming of our project deliverables - "OpenOffice.org" --> "Apache OpenOffice"

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by "Rony G. Flatscher" <Ro...@wu.ac.at>.
Hi Oliver-Rainer,

> I have finished the renaming from "OpenOffice.org" to "Apache OpenOffice" - see issue 121388.
>
> Beside corresponding changes in the user interface this change has impact on the following
> important and critical stuff:
> - folder/directory names
> - package names
> - Windows registry key names and values
> - ...
>
> As the folder/directory path to the user profile is also changed, the user profile of a former
> installed AOO (or OOo) version is not taken over.
for installation script purposes of add-ons etc., where can one find the concrete strings for
folder/directory names on the various operating system platforms and the Windows registry key names
and values?

TIA,

---rony

Re: Adapt the naming of our project deliverables - "OpenOffice.org" --> "Apache OpenOffice"

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 5:28 PM, Andrew Rist <an...@oracle.com> wrote:

> On 1/17/2013 2:45 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 2:23 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <
>> orwittmann@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>>  Hi,
>>>
>>> I have finished the renaming from "OpenOffice.org" to "Apache OpenOffice"
>>> - see issue 121388.
>>>
>>> Beside corresponding changes in the user interface this change has impact
>>> on the following important and critical stuff:
>>> - folder/directory names
>>> - package names
>>> - Windows registry key names and values
>>> - ...
>>>
>>> As the folder/directory path to the user profile is also changed, the
>>> user
>>> profile of a former installed AOO (or OOo) version is not taken over.
>>>
>>> If possible, please review the changes in your environment/platform.
>>> I am asking especially our community members working on the BSD platform,
>>> Solaris platform and OS/2 platform to have a deeper look.
>>>
>>> minor note:
>>> We are still on version number "3.5.0".
>>> I will work on issue 119977 to adapt the version number to "4.0". I think
>>> I will provide the corresponding patch soon, but I will wait with the
>>> integration in order to have enough time for testing the renaming to
>>> "Apache OpenOffice".
>>>

>>> Best regards, Oliver.
>>>

>> I have a quick question but the issue seems to answer this.
>>
>> This should be included in buildbot output for "trunk" currently, correct?
>>
>> Given Juergen's recent message about tag SNAPSHOT, I'm a bit confused.
>>
>> The buildbot output for linux-32-nightly is working and thus should have
>> output, but the one for linux-32-snapshot is broken.
>>

> The snapshot is running on a different box (well, different vm), and I
> think I have something I still need to fix on the new vm.
> Nightly is running ubuntu 12.04 and snapshot is on ubuntu 10.04. Thus the
> snapshot should create 'better' install packages ...
>

> A.

Andrew --

Thanks for this info. I just wanted to be able to test out the version with
the naming changes and didn't know what I should use -- the output from the
normal Linux-32 bit, or the Linux-32 SNAPSHOT -- and that's why I brought
this up.

>>> On 23.11.2012 13:04, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann wrote:
>>>
>>>  Hi,

MzK

"No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted."
                                                                         --
Aesop

Re: Adapt the naming of our project deliverables - "OpenOffice.org" --> "Apache OpenOffice"

Posted by Andrew Rist <an...@oracle.com>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Rony G. Flatscher (Apache)" <ro...@apache.org>.
Hi Oliver-Rainer,