Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Thomas <th...@gmx.net> on 2005/07/29 16:06:08 UTC

[users@httpd] mod_rewrite issue

            Hi,

I have my site setup like this:

index.php?object=object&function=function&action=action&morethings .

I want to be able to have a url like this:

http://mysite.com/object/function/action or morethings.

As you can see, I want to map the url directly to my values (.i.e. /object/
to object=$object .)

I have read some documentation on mod_rewrite with .htaccess and come up
with this:

[code]

RewriteEngine on

RewriteRule ^([A-Za-z])$ /$1/ [R]

RewriteRule ^([A-Za-z])/$ index.php?object=$1

[/code]

Now, if I go http://mysite.com/signup/ it does not map it but only displays
a 404. What am I missing?

My document_root for Apache is not served out of the default folders but
from another location. I did not set it up as a virtual location. Does that
matter? It does not seem to even consider the .htaccess.

Thanks

Thomas

[users@httpd] Re: mod_rewrite issue

Posted by Joost de Heer <sa...@xs4all.nl>.
> RewriteEngine on
> RewriteRule ^([A-Za-z])$ /$1/ [R]
> RewriteRule ^([A-Za-z])/$ index.php?object=$1
>
> Now, if I go http://mysite.com/signup/ it does not map it but only
> displays
> a 404. What am I missing?

That you match only one character in the regexp, instead of an arbitrary
number.

What you need is something like
RewriteRule ^([A-Za-z]+)/$ /index.php?object=$1

Joost