Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> on 2015/11/01 00:26:45 UTC

Re: [VOTE] Accept Naomi

On Sat, Oct 31, 2015 at 2:49 PM, Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/31/15 3:35 AM, Uwe Barthel wrote:
> > Hi Siegfried,
> >
> > Thanks for your clarification.
> >
> > It's really commonly use to bypass the incubator for small projects to
> become Apache Commons subproject status?
>
> Apache Commons is one project - we don't have subprojects.  We have
> accepted code grants directly before, sometimes into new components,
> sometimes merged in to existing components.  The key is as Mark
> pointed out whether or not we have interest already here in Commons
> in working on the code.  if that is the case, we can just accept the
> code grant and work with the community as we do on other components;
> otherwise it makes sense to try to grow community either in the
> Incubator or elsewhere before we accept the code.

Few add-on thoughts:

* The thread talks about growing community. Which community? The notion of
Commons is that a community develops/manages N components. None of our
components (or very few) support their own community. If we have enough +1
involvement (where +1 means 'will do coding, not just in favour'), then our
community seems fine.

* Emmanuel noted a preference for Commons components being refactored out
of other Apache projects. I want to note that early days of a lot of
Commons components were about code from people's personal libraries merging
in, not just Apache projects. Merging is an important word there though and
different to the notion of a full component coming in from outside.

* I see a lot of talking on list and not much engagement with Norm and Jeff
(either to or from them). This concerns me.

Hen