Posted to announcements@jakarta.apache.org by Glen Stampoultzis <gs...@iinet.net.au> on 2004/01/27 10:00:20 UTC

[ANN] POI 2.0 FINAL Released

ANNOUNCEMENT:

The POI Team is proud to announce the immediate availability of the Jakarta
POI 2.0-FINAL release.

WHAT IS POI?

The POI project consists of APIs for manipulating various file formats
based upon Microsoft's OLE 2 Compound Document format using pure Java.
Support for reading and writing Microsoft Excel files and property
information is mature and work continues on reading and writing the
MS Word format.

You can find the website at http://jakarta.apache.org/poi/

CHANGE LOG:

The following major changes have occurred since the 1.5 release:

HSSF (for reading and writing spreadsheets):
  * Numerous bug fixes
  * Improved support for non-english spreadsheets.
  * Formula support
  * Named cells and ranges
  * Sheet reordering
  * Zoom support
  * Freeze and split panes supported
  * Row and column headers
  * Custom data formats
  * Support for cloning objects
  * Headers and footers
  * Preservation of VBA macros when rewriting workbooks
  * Support for hyperlinks by using cell formulas:
     cell.setCellFormula("HYPERLINK(\"http://google.com\",\"Google\")");
  * Custom palettes

HPSF (for reading document properties):
  * Bug fixes
  * Codepage support
  * Read and write support
  * Custom properties

DOWNLOADS (source and binaries):

http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/jakarta/poi/

Regards,

The Jakarta POI Team.

Re: [ANN] POI 2.0 FINAL Released

Posted by Glen Stampoultzis <gs...@iinet.net.au>.
That's what I've done in the past.

At 04:13 PM 28/01/2004, you wrote:
>I've done the poi news site.
>
>Any pointers on how I do the jakarta new page? Do i need karma on the
>site module and directly change the xdocs??
>
>On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 09:25, Glen Stampoultzis wrote:
> > At 09:53 AM 28/01/2004, you wrote:
> > >Congratulations and thank you to all the POI team.
> > >
> > >We have been using 1.8-dev in a "live" environment for 10 months, but I'm
> > >sure having a proper release will widen the use of POI as
> organizations with
> > >"Release Version Only" policies will be able to deploy the great work you
> > >guys have done.
> > >
> > >The only comment I have is that the main Jakarta news page
> > >(http://jakarta.apache.org/site/news.html) does not include the
> anouncement
> > >of POI 2.0, and neither does the POI news blog.
> >
> > Will get to it.  I'm a bit snowed under at the moment.  Thanks for the
> > reminder.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Glen

Glen Stampoultzis
gstamp@iinet.net.au

Re: [ANN] POI 2.0 FINAL Released

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
The Jakarta news page has the following instructions:

If you would like to submit an item for posting to this page, send an email
with the subject [NEWS] to webmaster.AT.jakarta.DOT.apache.DOT.org.

Re: [ANN] POI 2.0 FINAL Released

Posted by Avik Sengupta <av...@itellix.com>.
I've done the poi news site.

Re: [ANN] POI 2.0 FINAL Released

Posted by Glen Stampoultzis <gs...@iinet.net.au>.

Re: [ANN] POI 2.0 FINAL Released

Re: [ANN] POI 2.0 FINAL Released

Posted by Rainer Klute <kl...@rainer-klute.de>.
On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 20:00:20 +1100 Glen Stampoultzis <gs...@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> HPSF (for reading document properties):
>   * Bug fixes
>   * Codepage support
>   * Read and write support
>   * Custom properties

Sorry, Glen, but codepage support and read and write support and in the CVS HEAD, not in 2.0.

Aside from that, thanks for doing the release!

Best regards
Rainer Klute

                           Rainer Klute IT-Consulting GmbH
  Dipl.-Inform.
  Rainer Klute             E-Mail:  klute@rainer-klute.de
  Körner Grund 24          Telefon: +49 172 2324824
D-44143 Dortmund           Telefax: +49 231 5349423

Re: [ANN] POI 2.0 FINAL Released

Posted by Ryan Ackley <sa...@cfl.rr.com>.
Nope. HWPF is in pre-alpha. It is still being worked on.

-Ryan

RE: [ANN] POI 2.0 FINAL Released

Posted by Jayprakash Mudhliyar <ja...@mentorix.com>.
does this release fix bugs related to HWPF........