Posted to scm-dev@maven.apache.org by Todd Thiessen <th...@nortel.com> on 2009/01/09 23:13:26 UTC

SCM plugin project

I have downloaded the source for this project have and have a number
questions/concerns.

Most of the code seems be under the scm directory. ie:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/scm

There is a POM at the highest level, with an artifact ID of maven-scm,
which indicates many sub-directories as sub-modules.

However, there is one sub-module that confuses me: maven-scm-plugin. You
would normally expect the parent for this pom to be the parent in the
higher directory.

However, this isn't the case. Its parent is maven-plugins which is a
different artifact altogether. This really seems to make building and
versioning of the entire project confusing.

Do you release the maven-scm project or the maven-scm-plugin project? I
naturally expected to release the maven-scm project but the
maven-scm-plugin stands out in that it doesn't define maven-scm as the
parent and it also includes all the maven-scm submodule projects as
dependancies by explicitly specifying their version. How are the version
numbers of all these dependencies incremented when a new version of the
plugin is released?

---
Todd Thiessen