Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Gerry Matte <Ge...@shaw.ca> on 2010/11/11 05:58:32 UTC

Undeliverable email alerts not being sent

In my earlier email regarding Eric's proposed Quckstart document, I suggested that the mailetcontainer.xml file be changed so that undeliverable emails (treated as address-errors) trigger an email back to the sender and also one to the postmaster.

After I made these changes and restarted james, I sent another test email to verify that I would now receive the notification that my email was undeliverable.

I was surprised that no such email ever arrived.  Interestingly, the james-server.log seems to show the emails were spooled for output:
INFO  22:39:23,250 | james.smtpserver | Successfully spooled mail Mail1289450363234-3 from Gerry.Matte@shaw.ca on 24.71.223.10 for [info@gerrymatte.ca]
INFO  22:39:23,453 | james.mailetcontext | Attempting delivery of Mail1289450363234-3-!309460-to-shaw.ca to host idcmail.shaw.ca. at 64.59.134.8 for addresses [Gerry.Matte@shaw.ca]
INFO  22:39:23,546 | james.mailetcontext | Storing mail Mail1289450363234-3 in file://var/mail/address-error/
INFO  22:39:24,125 | james.mailetcontext | Mail (Mail1289450363234-3-!309460-to-shaw.ca) sent successfully to idcmail.shaw.ca. at 64.59.134.8 for [Gerry.Matte@shaw.ca]
INFO  22:39:24,140 | james.mailetcontext | Attempting delivery of Mail1289450363234-3-!330044-to-shaw.ca to host idcmail.shaw.ca. at 24.71.223.11 for addresses [gerry.matte@shaw.ca]
INFO  22:39:25,250 | james.mailetcontext | Mail (Mail1289450363234-3-!330044-to-shaw.ca) sent successfully to idcmail.shaw.ca. at 24.71.223.11 for [gerry.matte@shaw.ca]

My test email came from Gerry.Matte@shaw.ca and the postmaster alert was addressed to gerry.matte@shaw.ca (all lower case).  Neither email arrived at that address.  A manually sent Outlook Express email from info@gerrymatte.ca sent a few minutes later was received within one minute of sending.

Gerry Matte
250-383-2466      http://www.gerrymatte.ca