Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Prashanth.S" <su...@yahoo.com> on 2003/10/08 09:59:37 UTC

urlrewriting Vs Cookies

Hi all,
i want to know that among urlrewriting and cookies,which one is better???If i dont want to use cookies is there any otherway to do session invalidation[other than url rewriting]..Iam using resin.
Thanks
Prashanth

Re: urlrewriting Vs Cookies

Posted by Wolfgang Woger <jw...@chello.at>.

Navjot Singh wrote:

>theoretcially, there are 3 ways.
>
>1. URL Rewriting
>2. Client side Cookies
>3. Server side Session (again use cookies but just for an ID)
>
>if you are adamant about not using cookies at any level. URL rewriting is
>the only option left.
>
>any other?

Server side Session of course and - I use hidden fields,
you need a form on every page, but if you need only a link, make a form
without input type=text and with CSS you can make a button looklike a
link or anything you want.

Wolfgang

Re: urlrewriting Vs Cookies

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
Prashanth.S wrote:

>But this doesnt solve my problem as it says me to use url rewriting..
>Thanks
>Prashanth

If you use the Struts tags for generating hyperlinks, you get support
for either for free ... and you as a developer don't have to worry about
doing something special.

Craig

Re: urlrewriting Vs Cookies

Posted by "Prashanth.S" <su...@yahoo.com>.
But this doesnt solve my problem as it says me to use url rewriting..
Thanks
Prashanth

Mark Lowe <ma...@talk21.com> wrote:
I'd have though cookie use was upto the user rather than your client.

http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/userGuide/struts-html.html#link

Re: urlrewriting Vs Cookies

Posted by Mark Lowe <ma...@talk21.com>.

RE: urlrewriting Vs Cookies

Posted by "Prashanth.S" <su...@yahoo.com>.
Hi navjot,

RE: urlrewriting Vs Cookies

Posted by Navjot Singh <na...@net4india.net>.
here is the clue.

RE: urlrewriting Vs Cookies

Posted by "Prashanth.S" <su...@yahoo.com>.
Hi navjot,

RE: urlrewriting Vs Cookies

Posted by Navjot Singh <na...@net4india.net>.

Re: urlrewriting Vs Cookies

Posted by Mark Lowe <ma...@talk21.com>.
Hi Prashanth

IMHO if you thinking about these as separate things then you're
thinking wrong. Sessions use url encoding and cookies to maintain
state. But when site building you shouldn't need to drill down this far.

Folks often think it clever to manipulated cookies, cos it looks real
clever..

Personally I think about sessions., not geeky nonesense like messing
with cookies. If you use <html:link or c:url then your url's will be
encoded and you can stop listening to folks who talk such nonesense..

Cheers Mark