Posted to general@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Glenn Adams <gl...@skynav.com> on 2016/02/26 22:17:16 UTC

[VOTE] Merge from xmlgraphics/batik/branches/maven to trunk

I would like to start a vote on merging from xmlgraphics/batik/branches/maven
[1] to trunk [2]. Please respond by Wednesday, 03/02, 1700Z. Lack of a
response will be interpreted as +0.

[1] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xmlgraphics/batik/branches/maven/
[2] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xmlgraphics/batik/trunk/

Unlike xmlgraphics-commons, the batik project has not yet been updated to
support:

   - checkstyle
   - findbugs
   - junit

Although I have started converting the existing 'regard' based tests over
to junit (see, e.g., batik-util/src/test), this task will consume a fair
amount of resources to complete. As a consequence, I am proposing to do the
initial maven upgrade without converting the regard tests (in this initial
migration step). Further, it does not appear the regard tests are running
properly, even in the current batik trunk. Therefore, I propose we:

   1. convert to maven, then
   2. make fixes as needed to allow 'ant regard' to complete (in the new
   maven hierarchy), then
   3. finish converting regard tests to junit

These latter two steps would be accomplished in subsequent updates to
^/xmlgraphics/batik/trunk after the maven merge.

Note that the consequences of this is that 'ant regard' will not work
properly until step (2) above is complete, and 'mvn test' will not include
all existing tests until step (3) above is complete. Given that we have not
been (and are not yet) running a (Jenkins) CI build process on batik, then
this should not be a problem (from the CI perspective).

Regarding CI, I have created a Jenkins project, xmlgraphics-batik-maven
[3], which is now running:

   - mvn clean install -B -U -e -fae -V

[3] https://builds.apache.org/job/xmlgraphics-batik-maven/

The following run without error (on my platform, using JDK 1.6):

ant clean jars all-jar
mvn clean test

I am using the following tool versions:

$ mvn -v
Apache Maven 3.2.5 (12a6b3acb947671f09b81f49094c53f426d8cea1;
2014-12-14T10:29:23-07:00)
Maven home: /opt/local/share/java/maven32
Java version: 1.6.0_65, vendor: Apple Inc.
Java home: /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home
Default locale: en_US, platform encoding: MacRoman
OS name: "mac os x", version: "10.11.3", arch: "x86_64", family: "mac"

$ ant -version
Apache Ant(TM) version 1.9.6 compiled on June 29 2015

Re: [VOTE] Merge from xmlgraphics/batik/branches/maven to trunk

Posted by Glenn Adams <gl...@skynav.com>.
On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 4:12 AM, Simon Steiner <si...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> With a patch I could start regard:
> ant clean regard -Dargs=""

Fixed, though I used a different configuration that does not rely on maven
build artifacts.

Posted by Glenn Adams <gl...@skynav.com>.

Posted by Simon Steiner <si...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Glenn Adams <gl...@skynav.com>.
fixed

Posted by Glenn Adams <gl...@skynav.com>.
fixed

Posted by Simon Steiner <si...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Robert Meyer <rm...@hotmail.co.uk>.
Hi,
Here's my +1.
Thanks,
Robert

Posted by Simon Steiner <si...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

+1

Thanks

Posted by Simon Steiner <si...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

+1

Thanks

Posted by Pascal Sancho <ps...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

+1
thanks

> +1 from me.
>
> KR
>
> Andreas
>
>> On 26 Feb 2016, at 22:17, Glenn Adams <gl...@skynav.com> wrote:
>>
>> I would like to start a vote on merging from xmlgraphics/batik/branches/maven
>> [1] to trunk [2]. Please respond by Wednesday, 03/02, 1700Z. Lack of a
>> response will be interpreted as +0.
>>
>> [1] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xmlgraphics/batik/branches/maven/
>> [2] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xmlgraphics/batik/trunk/
>>
>> Unlike xmlgraphics-commons, the batik project has not yet been updated to
>> support:
>>
>>   - checkstyle
>>   - findbugs
>>   - junit
>>
>> Although I have started converting the existing 'regard' based tests over
>> to junit (see, e.g., batik-util/src/test), this task will consume a fair
>> amount of resources to complete. As a consequence, I am proposing to do the
>> initial maven upgrade without converting the regard tests (in this initial
>> migration step). Further, it does not appear the regard tests are running
>> properly, even in the current batik trunk. Therefore, I propose we:
>>
>>   1. convert to maven, then
>>   2. make fixes as needed to allow 'ant regard' to complete (in the new
>>   maven hierarchy), then
>>   3. finish converting regard tests to junit
>>
>> These latter two steps would be accomplished in subsequent updates to
>> ^/xmlgraphics/batik/trunk after the maven merge.
>>
>> Note that the consequences of this is that 'ant regard' will not work
>> properly until step (2) above is complete, and 'mvn test' will not include
>> all existing tests until step (3) above is complete. Given that we have not
>> been (and are not yet) running a (Jenkins) CI build process on batik, then
>> this should not be a problem (from the CI perspective).
>>
>> Regarding CI, I have created a Jenkins project, xmlgraphics-batik-maven
>> [3], which is now running:
>>
>>   - mvn clean install -B -U -e -fae -V
>>
>> [3] https://builds.apache.org/job/xmlgraphics-batik-maven/
>>
>> The following run without error (on my platform, using JDK 1.6):
>>
>> ant clean jars all-jar
>> mvn clean test
>>
>> I am using the following tool versions:
>>
>> $ mvn -v
>> Apache Maven 3.2.5 (12a6b3acb947671f09b81f49094c53f426d8cea1;
>> 2014-12-14T10:29:23-07:00)
>> Maven home: /opt/local/share/java/maven32
>> Java version: 1.6.0_65, vendor: Apple Inc.
>> Java home: /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home
>> Default locale: en_US, platform encoding: MacRoman
>> OS name: "mac os x", version: "10.11.3", arch: "x86_64", family: "mac"
>>
>> $ ant -version
>> Apache Ant(TM) version 1.9.6 compiled on June 29 2015

pascal

Re: [VOTE] Merge from xmlgraphics/batik/branches/maven to trunk

Posted by Andreas Delmelle <an...@telenet.be>.
+1 from me.

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Glenn,

I did checkout, setup a new project and successfully ran clean+install
targets. So +1 from me

Thanks,

Chris

Posted by Glenn Adams <gl...@skynav.com>.
On Fri, Mar 4, 2016 at 8:27 AM, Simon Steiner <si...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> ant maven-artifacts is not working, should target be removed.

yes, please remove, or I will do so

Posted by Glenn Adams <gl...@skynav.com>.

Posted by Simon Steiner <si...@gmail.com>.
Hi,