Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Eddie O'Neil <ek...@bea.com> on 2005/05/26 07:01:40 UTC

[vote] beehive v1 milestone 1 release

All--

   The blocking bugs have been dealt with and we've been adding
documentation and samples furiously over the last couple of weeks.

   At this point, I'd like to propose that we release a Beehive 1.0
milestone 1.  The code is ready to go -- though I believe that a few
committers have some outstanding documentation and samples still to be
completed.

   So, I suggest that we kick the tires of the branch at SVN change
178556 in beehive/branches/v1/m1 (being created now) and let a few more
doc / sample related checkins trickle in over the next couple of days.
If anyone has concerns about this, please feel free to say so...

   Tomorrow (Thursday), nightlies will be cut from this branch so that a
binary distribution is also available for download.

   Given the coming long weekend in the US, this vote will close at
20:00 (8:00PM) GMT on Tuesday, 05/31/2005.   Should be plenty of time to
take the release out to play.  :)

   I'll start this off with my +1.

Eddie

=====

Vote:
[+1] Yes, the release is ready to go from beehive/branches/v1/m1.
[0]  Abstain / not sure.
[-1] No, the release is not ready yet.  If you vote this way, please
provide an explanation why and add what could be done to address your
concerns.

v1/m1 branch created -- was [vote] beehive v1 milestone 1 release

Posted by Eddie O'Neil <ek...@bea.com>.
   The v1/m1 branch has been created as of SVN 178633.

   For the sake of stability, please commit only doc and sample changes
to this branch.  Any BLOCKERs that come up should also be addressed here.

   And, vote!

   :)

Eddie

Re: [vote] beehive v1 milestone 1 release

Posted by Rich Feit <ri...@apache.org>.
Enthusiastic +1 (as long as nothing but samples and doc change).

(Apologies if this is a duplicate message -- it appears that it didn't
come through the first time.)

Rich

Posted by Bryan Che <bc...@redhat.com>.
+1

Bryan

Posted by Eddie O'Neil <ek...@bea.com>.
   I've received a couple of private questions about the name of this
release -- currently, we've been calling it "milestone 1", but that's
misleading apparently because milestone 1 was announced on TSS back in
the fall.

   Could also call it 1.0m3 -- for (1) alpha / (2) beta / (3) this one.

   But, we can only do that if you...

   vote!

   :)

Eddie

incubator notice in dist/incubator

Posted by Eddie ONeil <ek...@gmail.com>.
  I've added a NOTICE.txt file to
dist/incubator/beehive/nightlies/1.0m1-rc2 which contains the Beehive
incubation notice.

  I'll leave adding one to dist/incubator/ to someone on Incubator PMC
given that such a notice would need to be re-worded from the notice
template here:

http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Branding%0D

to include some generic text about all incubating projects if projects
are to share a single notice.

  But, in the meantime, we'll add our own NOTICE.txt to all of our
nightlies / releases.

Eddie

Posted by Eddie ONeil <ek...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Eddie ONeil <ek...@gmail.com>.
All--

  Two of the three points Noel made have been addressed; a question
about the third is below:

> - svn.rev files
  These have been removed from all of the archives.

> - zip file structure
  I believe that these are correct -- we'd like for the files in the
archives to be self-contained when the archives are unzipped.  So,
they contain a single directory:

  apache-beehive-incubating-<version #><|-docs|-lib|-src>/

which then contains everything else.  Makes it easier to unzip the
archives into a directory; Derby, Ant, Struts, and Tomcat seem to do
this in their distributions.

> - incubation notice in the directories

  Noel, by this do you mean to add the incubation notice to the
download directories like this one?

  http://cvs.apache.org/dist/incubator/beehive/20050526

If not, can you clarify?  :)

Otherwise, I think we're waiting on a couple more documentation
additions.  Once those are done, I'll create installers for 1.0m1-rc2
and we can vote on whether to promote these to 1.0m1 status.

  Questions / comments?

Thanks!

Eddie

Posted by Eddie ONeil <ek...@gmail.com>.
All--

Posted by Eddie ONeil <ek...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eddie ONeil <ek...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Eddie O'Neil <ek...@bea.com>.
Noel--

   I'd thought that creating the installers from the branch would be
sufficient preparation work.  :)  Those binaries are here:

   http://cvs.apache.org/dist/incubator/beehive/nightlies/20050526/

Apologies for not having sent an explicit link.  The only difference
between this and the actual release was going to be some additional
documentation.

   But, we're new to this whole process, so if that doesn't work (or
isn't sufficient), then just let me know and we can repropose on Tuesday
as needed.

   Thoughts?

Thanks!

Eddie