Posted to dev@deltacloud.apache.org by Tom Wlodek <to...@bnl.gov> on 2011/11/01 19:22:59 UTC

GETTING STARTED WITH DELTACLOUD

Hello everybody,

I am new to deltacloud. I would like to install it at my site, so I went
to the page

http://incubator.apache.org/deltacloud/documentation.html

and I did step by step the instructions. First the prerequisites:

|yum install ruby
yum install ruby-devel
||yum install rubygems||
yum install gcc-c++
||yum install libxml libxml2-devel

||yum install libxslt libxslt-devel
||gem install rake

End of prerequisites. so far so good. But when I do

gem install deltacloud-core
ERROR:  Error installing deltacloud-core:
	fog requires net-ssh (~>  2.1.4, runtime)

but when I do

  gem list

I get

net-ssh (2.2.1)

so I have net-ssh installed.

Any ideas?

Tom W

Re: GETTING STARTED WITH DELTACLOUD

Posted by David Lutterkort <lu...@redhat.com>.
On Tue, 2011-11-01 at 14:58 -0400, Tom Wlodek wrote:
> On 11/01/2011 02:47 PM, Francesco Vollero wrote:
> > yum install deltacloud-core
> Thanks for the response. I will try it. Could you tell me the details of
> the repository so that I could add it to yum? BTW I am in fedora.

deltacloud-core is in the standard Fedora repo, so available to any
Fedora system.

David

Re: GETTING STARTED WITH DELTACLOUD

Posted by Tom Wlodek <to...@bnl.gov>.
On 11/01/2011 02:47 PM, Francesco Vollero wrote:
> yum install deltacloud-core
Thanks for the response. I will try it. Could you tell me the details of
the repository so that I could add it to yum? BTW I am in fedora.

Tom Wlodek

Re: GETTING STARTED WITH DELTACLOUD

Posted by Francesco Vollero <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tom,

Why since you're in fedora (maybe it's centos, but i think you will
find there as well) you don't just run: yum install deltacloud-core ?
Seems to be the most straightforward way to solve your problem.
In the meanwhile I gonna dig to discover what's wrong there.

Cheers,
Francesco Vollero

Posted by "marios@redhat.com" <ma...@redhat.com>.
Hi Tom,

OK, we've gotten to the bottom of this. First of all, thanks for taking
the time to report the issue - it will definitely help us to make the
deltacloud installation process better. There are a number of ways in
which this issue can be addressed and we are evaluating those before
making a decision. The fix should make it's way into the next Deltacloud
release. I'll likely also be updating the website with a temporary
work-around for rhel 6.1 soon. A more detailed description of the issue
follows below,

marios

================description of the problem:=========================

The issue is obviously a versioning problem... the deltacloud-core gem
itself requires the 'net-ssh' gem (we use that for the 'run-on-instance'
feature where clients can run an action on a running instance
http://incubator.apache.org/deltacloud/api#h3_5_3). Our .gemspec
requirement for net-ssh is:

  s.add_dependency('net-ssh', '>= 2.0.0')

Meaning, any version of net-ssh newer than version 2 (currently the
latest version @rubygems is 2.2.1 http://rubygems.org/gems/net-ssh).

Deltacloud also requires the 'fog' gem, which we use to talk to the
terremark vCloud Express and google-storage cloud API. When you install
a gem, like fog, you also pull in all the gems that it requires. In this
case, fog has the requirement
(https://github.com/fog/fog/blob/master/fog.gemspec):

  s.add_dependency('net-ssh', '~>2.1.4')

which means, any version greater than or equal to, 'in the last digit'
... i.e. '~>' here will match 2.1.4 ... up to 2.1.x but not 2.2.x
(http://docs.rubygems.org/read/chapter/16). Thus, we have a versioning
conflict... our own gemspec dependency will pull in "net-ssh >= 2.0.0",
basically meaning 'the latest'... 2.2.1. However this doesn't satisfy
the fog dependency of "2.1.4 <= net-ssh < 2.2.0".

Versions of 'rubygems' after 1.6.0
(https://github.com/rubygems/rubygems/blob/master/History.txt)
introduced a conflict resolution mechanism, whereby the 'least common
denominator' is used in such cases. In this case version 2.1.4 of
net-ssh is used, thus satisfying both .gemspec constraints. However rhel
is using rubygems version 1.3.7 (i.e. before the conflict resolution
mechanism was introduced), which is why the gem installer reports:

gem install deltacloud-core
ERROR:  Error installing deltacloud-core:
    fog requires net-ssh (~>  2.1.4, runtime)

Thanks again to Tom Wlodek for reporting this

Posted by Tom Wlodek <to...@bnl.gov>.

Posted by "marios@redhat.com" <ma...@redhat.com>.
Hi Tom,