Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2009/04/06 01:51:29 UTC

[Tomcat Wiki] Trivial Update of "FAQ/Miscellaneous" by ChuckCaldarale

Dear Wiki user,

The following page has been changed by ChuckCaldarale:
http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Miscellaneous

The comment on the change is:
Fixing typos.

   1. [#Q16 Why do I get java.lang.IllegalStateException ?]
   1. [#Q17 How do I make a scheduled event on Tomcat?]
   1. [#Q18 What is Element "web-app" does not allow "servlet" here?]
-  1. [#Q19 How do open a file for reading in my webapp?]
+  1. [#Q19 How do I open a file for reading in my webapp?]
   1. [#Q20 Can I run tomcat with the JRE, or do I need the full JDK?]
   1. [#Q21 Is tomcat an EJB server? Can I use EJBs with tomcat?]
   1. [#Q22 Can I access Tomcat's JNDI provider from outside tomcat?]
@@ -31, +31 @@

   1. [#Q25 Help! Even though I run shutdown.sh (or shutdown.bat), Tomcat does not stop!]
   1. [#Q26 How do I debug JSP errors in the Admin web application?]
   1. [#Q27 What order do webapps start (or How can I change startup order)?]
-  1. [#Q28 What's the different between a Valve and Filter?
+  1. [#Q28 What's the different between a Valve and Filter?]

  == Answers ==
  [[Anchor(Q1)]]'''I am unable to compile my JSP!'''
@@ -252, +252 @@

   6. If you haven't already, define an admin user in %CATALINA_HOME%\conf\tomcat-users.xml.
   7. Start Tomcat, navigate to http://localhost:8080 (or your actual server:port if you have modified the default values), and access the admin web application. It will run slower because Tomcat is now compiling the JSPs on-demand the first time you access them, but should otherwise appear normal.

- [[Anchor(Q27)]]'''What order do webapps start (or How can I change startup order)?'''
+ [[Anchor(Q27)]]'''What order do webapps start (or how can I change startup order)?'''

  There is no expected startup order. Neither the Servlet spec nor Tomcat define one. You can't rely on the apps starting in any particular order.

  [[Anchor(Q28)]]'''What's the different between a Valve and Filter?'''

- A Filter lives in the webapp space and it's behavior is defined by the Servlet spec. It will work across all Servlet containers.
+ A Filter lives in the webapp space and its behavior is defined by the Servlet spec. It will work across all Servlet containers.

  A Valve can do everything a Filter can do but is Tomcat specific, and potentially not portable across Tomcat versions. A Valve can be executed earlier in the lifecycle of a request, access Tomcat internals, and do other "interesting" decorations to your webapp in the chance you cannot change your deployed webapp.