Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/05 07:06:36 UTC

Re: [2.x] Progress update on bringing up Tuscany SCA Runtime to the latest OASIS SCA Schemas

This is a good step toward the OASIS SCA. I made more changes under r750323
to make sure SCA composite and other files in modules/itest/samples/stest
use the oasis SCA namespace.

Thanks,
Raymond

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 11:08 PM, Ramkumar R <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Luciano,
>
> Thanks for listing them down, I would like to help in the following item....
>
> - Identify changes from new Schema and update respective processors
> (we could possibly divide here in core, bindings, implementations)
>
> like to start with implementations first, and then move to bindings and
> core.

That's awesome !!! Maybe just send an e-mail when you complete each
one of this (implementation, bindings)... so we can make sure people
won't duplicate work.

Posted by Ramkumar R <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Luciano,

--
Thanks & Regards,
Ramkumar Ramalingam

Re: [2.x] Progress update on bringing up Tuscany SCA Runtime to the latest OASIS SCA Schemas

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Raymond

snip...

> For OASIS: org.apache.tuscany.sca.assembly.xml
> For OSOA: org.apache.tuscany.sca.assembly.xml.osoa

So what happens when OASIS release a new spec version after v1.1? I don't
know that they will of course but just thinking ahead.

Simon

Re: [2.x] Progress update on bringing up Tuscany SCA Runtime to the latest OASIS SCA Schemas

  This is a good step toward the OASIS SCA. I made more changes under r750323 to make sure SCA composite and other files in modules/itest/samples/stest use the oasis SCA namespace.

  Thanks,
  Raymond

    We are now using OASIS Namespace and Schemas in our 2.x trunk. While I
    handled changes to all modules and also started providing backward
    compatibility based on our previous discussion [1] to the biggest set
    of processors responsible by dealing with composite processing, there
    are still more things to do (and I'd appreciate help from all the
    community).

    - Backward compatibility

    The approach I took is to provide a tuscany-module-xml-osoa module
    that would handle the specific osoa schema, contribute processors and
    unit test the specific processors. This is demonstrated in
    assembly-xml-xsd-osoa and assembly-xml-osoa. This would allow maximum
    flexibility for us and any users/embedders as it allows us to produce
    distributions that are OASIS specific (e.g.: by picking up only the
    default OASIS specific modules) or backward capable (e.g by picking up
    OASIS and OSOA set of processors). Note that, while I have done the
    work for our assembly-xsd and assembly-xml, I'd need help from the
    community to get the same pattern applied to the other extensions.

    - What's next

    Update assembly model based on the latest Assembly spec draft and
    current schemas
    Finish bring-up of modules outside java/modules to use appropriate ns/schema
    Provide extension-xml-osoa modules that would be used for backward compatibility

    Please let me know if you have questions/comments...
    And "the pool is open" for everybody to help bringing this up.

    [1] http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@tuscany.apache.org/msg05656.html

    --
    Luciano Resende
    Apache Tuscany, Apache PhotArk
    http://people.apache.org/~lresende
    http://lresende.blogspot.com/

Thanks Luciano for pushing this along.

Re. backward compatibility. How about we also change the package names in the xml modules so that there are no clashes? Something like

org.apache.tuscany.sca.assembly.xml
org.apache.tuscany.sca.assembly.v11.xml

I'm in the builders at the moment looking at Endpoints. There are different semantics here in OASIS compared to OSOA. I'll think about how we represent this variability. My first thought is that we add the sca namespace to the composite model that has been read and use this infromation as appropriate. Builders now have an extension point so we have the option of extending this to load versioned builders or even doing version specific processing inside the builders. I think the first is the most obvious approach.

Simon

Re: [2.x] Progress update on bringing up Tuscany SCA Runtime to the latest OASIS SCA Schemas

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.