Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Tim Frank <tf...@registrar.uoguelph.ca> on 2004/11/18 18:55:19 UTC

PropPatchMethod Hints

I thought this piece of information might be useful for others who are
using/setting their own properties. I had some difficulty using the
PropPatchMethod from the org.apache.webdav.lib.methods class for
properties that had children/descendants. For example, the auto-version
property that looks like this:

<D:auto-version>
     <D:checkin-checkout/>
</D:auto-version>

I could remove the property by passing "auto-version" as the property
name, but I could not create the property on first try. The trick I used
was to pass the XML portion for the children/descendants as the String
Value of the property. I noticed that internally all of the XML assembly
for the request is a string, hence it just gets passed through nicely.

So, if you want to create more complex properties, this is how you can
create them with the webdav client API. Don't ask me how to retrieve
those properties with the same API though, I don't think it can be done
at present.

Tim