Posted to dev@openwhisk.apache.org by Seonghyun Oh <se...@gmail.com> on 2019/11/05 03:18:39 UTC

Providing namespace field when action is initialized

Hi, whiskers.
I want to discuss adding a new field `namespace` in the `/init` API [1]
that initializes the action.

The action runtime does not know the namespace information when the action
is initialized.
In some cases, the namespace information can be useful.

E.g,
- Initializing a monitoring tool such as APM (Application Performance
Management)
- Custom docker actions that require a namespace for initialization

If the namespace is not provided at action init time, it should check the
namespace every time when action is run.
I think it will be very useful for some users.

{
  "value": {*    "namespace": String,*
    "name" : String,
    "main" : String,
    "code" : String,
    "binary": Boolean,
    "env": Map[String, String]
  }
}

I'd really be glad to have your views on this proposal.

Thanks
Seonghyun

[1]
https://github.com/apache/openwhisk/blob/master/docs/actions-new.md#initialization