Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxsystems.com> on 2016/09/09 08:07:18 UTC

Ideas about OFBiz servlet filters

A web application, in order to leverage the OFBiz framework, requires that
a series of objects are in its contexts (servlet context, session and
request) such as "delegator", "delegatorName", "dispatcher", "security"
etc. etc...
This setup is performed by the logic contained in the servlet filter
implemented by the following class:

org.apache.ofbiz.webapp.control.ContextFilter

The execution of this logic is required for the application to run properly.
However, this filter is deployed in most but not all the web application in
the OFBiz codebase: there are few exceptions due to the fact that a few web
applications require the execution of other filters (e.g. CatalogUrlFilter,
etc...).

Unfortunately the way these filters have been implemented have issues
including:
* some of them extend the ContextFilter and override its behavior by
copying some logic and adding new one; in these cases the ContextFilter is
also deployed but after the execution of the extended filter
* some of them have been copied from ContextFilter and then adapted,
introducing a lot of redundant code difficult to maintain; in these cases
the ContextFilter is not deployed

There is now a chance for the community to help cleaning up these classes
and I am proposing the following guidelines:

1) servlet filters should be chained (rather than extended or replaced)
2) ContextFilter should always be used and should always be the first
(OFBiz) filter in the chain
3) if some of the behavior/logic of ContextFilter conflicts with the ones
of other filters, then ContextFilter should be enhanced to prevent that
(e.g. we can improve the code, move some of its logic in a separate filter
that can be executed after etc...)
4) the other filters should work well after the ContextFilter and add
behavior rather than overriding behavior or duplicating behavior

As a beneficial side effect of this effort, we will get a cleaner picture
(documented by the logic of ContextFilter) of all the context objects
required by OFBiz web applications.

I hope it helps

Jacopo

Re: Ideas about OFBiz servlet filters

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Thanks Jacopo,

This sounds like a plan to me. I see Jinghai is already working on the most culprits, I hope he will get this message ASAP, to avoid doing useless
work. Then we can work together to clean the stuff

Jacques

Le 09/09/2016 � 10:07, Jacopo Cappellato a �crit :

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxsystems.com>.
I prefer to start the discussion in this list and consider to move to Jira
only in a second phase if a more structured coordination of tasks will be
useful.

Jacopo

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxsystems.com>.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
I like the concept.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxsystems.com>.
In rev. 1761424 I did some additional cleanup.
Please test and report any issues you may find.

Thanks,

Jacopo

On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 8:44 AM, Jacopo Cappellato <

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxsystems.com>.
Thank you Carsten,

Posted by Carsten Schinzer <c....@gmail.com>.