Posted to users@maven.apache.org by James <jm...@fusemail.com> on 2007/01/22 19:29:32 UTC

Dependencies Question

I have a conundrum with dependencies.

We have many modules we include in an EAR.  Because of this, those
modules typically have their dependencies defined as optional so things
like webapps don't package them because we put everything in the root of
our EAR.

The issue is, there are many instances we need our modules to actually
include their dependencies in packaging so we can test them outside of
an ear.  Such an instance is for JUnit tests inside eclipse.

This becomes very ugly.  On one hand, we build our modules to have all
their dependencies set as optional, which breaks them outside of an
ear.  On the other hand we don't set them to optional which makes the
biggest nastiest exclusion set you've ever seen in order to stop those
modules from bringing their transitive dependencies into webapps.

What to do???

If only there was an easier way to just tell an ear file or web module
to exclude ALL transitive dependencies without having to put in 20
exclusions.

There has to be a better way to deal with this.

Ideas?

-James