Posted to user@hive.apache.org by David Capwell <dc...@gmail.com> on 2017/05/06 00:28:38 UTC

ORC tables failing after upgrading from 0.14 to 2.1.1

Our schema is nested with top level having 5 struct types.  When we try to
query these structs we get the following back

*ORC does not support type conversion from file type string (1) to reader
type array<string> (1)*

Walking through hive in a debugger I see that schema evolution sees the
correct file type (which matches schema), but the reader type looks like
the following

*struct<_col0:array<string>>*

minified file type

*struct<id:string,source:string,timestamp:bigint,data:struct<...>,output:struct<browser:string,provider:array<string>,...>,...>*

So what I see is that schema evolution is trying to compare id to
output.provider (or really _col0) which will fail since they don't match.

query is

select output.provider from table;

hive version is 2.1.1

Any idea whats going on?