Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Miroslav Pukhalsky <mi...@dekasoft.com.ua> on 2007/12/14 13:11:11 UTC

Error during make Open Type Font metric

Hi,

I try to make font metric for Open Type font Helvetica LT Standard Black
When I type the next command:

java org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.TTFReader -enc ansi
HelveticaLTStd-Blk.otf HelveticaLTStd-Blk.xml

I have got the next error:
Parsing font...
Reading HelveticaLTStd-Blk.otf...
Number of glyphs in font: 253
Dirtab loca not found.
Error while building XML font metrics file.
java.io.IOException: 'loca' table not found, happens when the font file
doesn't contain TrueType outlines (trying to read an OpenType CFF font
maybe?)

Do I something wrong? I use FOP 0.93.

Regards,

Miroslav.

Re: Error during make Open Type Font metric

Posted by mokeeffe <mi...@gmail.com>.

Miroslav Pukhalsky wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I try to make font metric for Open Type font Helvetica LT Standard Black
> When I type the next command:
>
> java org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.TTFReader -enc ansi
> HelveticaLTStd-Blk.otf HelveticaLTStd-Blk.xml
>
> I have got the next error:
> [snip]
> java.io.IOException: 'loca' table not found, happens when the font file
> doesn't contain TrueType outlines (trying to read an OpenType CFF font
> maybe?)

Here's a possible workaround, as the CFF it's failing on seems to be specify
how it's stored - it's still a Type-1 font:
http://www.stuermer.ch/blog/convert-otf-to-ttf-font-on-ubuntu.html

I'd be interested on any ideas on the effort involved in adding support -
easier than changing a corporate standard perhaps ;)

Or is it already underway?  It seems like something FOP should be able to
process without considerable changes (we aren't talking about major new
graphics capabilities, etc)?

http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/en/font/5176.CFF.pdf

Re: Error during make Open Type Font metric

Posted by Miroslav Pukhalsky <mi...@dekasoft.com.ua>.
Hello mokeeffe,

mokeeffe wrote:
> The other thing is - you should be able to get a copy of the .TTF version of
> the font, in fact we happen to be using almost the same one
> (HelveticaNeueLTStd) - and thus same issue as Miroslav, but this solve our
> issue.

I was found someone who convert OTF fonts to TTF fonts for me (on
Windows XP was used TransType utility from FontLab) and it was resolved
my problem. After it I made font metrics (as described here
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/0.93/fonts.html#truetype-metrics) and
embed fonts into PDF.

Posted by mokeeffe <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
As the exception suggests, the font probably contains CFF glyphs which
are not supported by FOP, yet. You'll have to get a different font.

On 14.12.2007 13:11:11 Miroslav Pukhalsky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I try to make font metric for Open Type font Helvetica LT Standard Black
> When I type the next command:
>
> java org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.TTFReader -enc ansi
> HelveticaLTStd-Blk.otf HelveticaLTStd-Blk.xml
>
> I have got the next error:
> Parsing font...
> Reading HelveticaLTStd-Blk.otf...
> Number of glyphs in font: 253
> Dirtab loca not found.
> Error while building XML font metrics file.
> java.io.IOException: 'loca' table not found, happens when the font file
> doesn't contain TrueType outlines (trying to read an OpenType CFF font
> maybe?)
>
> Do I something wrong? I use FOP 0.93.
>
> Regards,
>
> Miroslav.