Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by David Blevins <da...@visi.com> on 2008/04/22 03:42:09 UTC

Doc IP Clearance (was Re: [DISCUSS] Policy for granting write access to our Wiki)

On Apr 20, 2008, at 7:31 PM, Kevan Miller wrote:

> One of the decisions will be what to do about documentation that has
> already been contributed without a CLA.

I pulled down the revisions for these spaces: GMOxDOC10, GMOxDOC11,
GMOxDOC12, GMOxDOC20, GMOxDOC21, GMOxSITE

Report:  http://people.apache.org/~dblevins/gmo-space-revisions.log

We should be able to clear the docs we have.  Right off the bat, it
doesn't look too bad.

-David

Re: Doc IP Clearance (was Re: [DISCUSS] Policy for granting write access to our Wiki)

Posted by Jason Warner <ja...@apache.org>.
You can also send a scanned copy to secretary at apache dot org as noted on
the licenses page Dan mentioned earlier, if that's any easier for anyone.

--
~Jason Warner

Re: Doc IP Clearance (was Re: [DISCUSS] Policy for granting write access to our Wiki)

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com>.
Sorry for the delay, been out for a couple of days.
I'll check the user groups and permissions.

Cheers!
Hernan

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
I thought that non-committer write access to Confluence had been
turned off. I now see that it was one of your questions -- my answer
is "now".

Hernan, can you make this happen?

WRT further process questions, see inline...

--kevan

On Apr 28, 2008, at 10:02 AM, Hernan Cunico wrote:

> Guys we need to wrap up this discussion. I'm not sure where are we
> standing but still have a bunch of questions.
>
> A few things that look clear to me thus far
> - We'll request every contributor to submit a CLA. Filing
> instructions are provided in the Individual Contributor License
> Agreement itself available here http://www.apache.org/licenses
> - Every contributor will have to expressly communicate intention for
> contributing with the project's documentation sending a email to dev@geronimo.apache.org
>
> Some things still pending
> - Having a CLA on file will suffice to grant edit access to the doc
> or we'll seek PMC voting?
We should create a geronimo/project/confluence-contributors.txt file
in svn. When someone requests access and we've verified a CLA is on
file, add their name to this file with confluence information. commit
the new contents to svn.

> - Although a CLA is ASF wide we should provide access to only those
> interested in contributing to Geronimo's documentation. Do we
> already keep a separate list?

Does the above file address this?

> - When do we make effective such access restriction?

Now.

> - What Confluence spaces will be affected?

All.

> - How do we deal with existing content? We can not apply this
> retroactively.

Retroactively request ICLAs from past contributors. Address the
problem when/if we want to use our current content in some new way

> Once all these are sorted out I'll update the Apache Geronimo
> Policies on the web site (http://geronimo.apache.org/project-policies.html
> ) to reflect these changes

Cool.

--kevan

Re: Doc IP Clearance (was Re: [DISCUSS] Policy for granting write access to our Wiki)

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Apr 28, 2008, at 10:02 AM, Hernan Cunico wrote:

> Guys we need to wrap up this discussion. I'm not sure where are we
> standing but still have a bunch of questions.

Hi Hernan,
Agreed. Sorry I've been out due to some family health issues...

> A few things that look clear to me thus far
> - We'll request every contributor to submit a CLA. Filing
> instructions are provided in the Individual Contributor License
> Agreement itself available here http://www.apache.org/licenses
> - Every contributor will have to expressly communicate intention for
> contributing with the project's documentation sending a email to dev@geronimo.apache.org

I'd be happy with that.

> Some things still pending
> - Having a CLA on file will suffice to grant edit access to the doc
> or we'll seek PMC voting?

I don't think a vote is necessary.

> - Although a CLA is ASF wide we should provide access to only those
> interested in contributing to Geronimo's documentation. Do we
> already keep a separate list?

Not that I know of.

> - When do we make effective such access restriction?

As soon as we have a decision.

> - What Confluence spaces will be affected?
> - How do we deal with existing content? We can not apply this
> retroactively.

We can investigate what our risks are. Ask for old contributors to
submit a CLA and document their past submissions are licensed to the
ASF. I don't really know what are options will be. Anyone care to find
out?

> Once all these are sorted out I'll update the Apache Geronimo
> Policies on the web site (http://geronimo.apache.org/project-policies.html
> ) to reflect these changes

Sounds good.

--kevan

Re: Doc IP Clearance (was Re: [DISCUSS] Policy for granting write access to our Wiki)

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Apr 22, 2008, at 3:24 AM, David Jencks wrote:

> Great work david!!!
>
> I think some of these people are axis committers ... the ones with
> opensource.lk email addresses.  If they are, do we need another
> CLA?  Or did you already look and my idea that they are committers
> on another project is wrong?

A CLA is ASF-wide, not project specific. So, it would definitely cover
the changes...

> On Apr 21, 2008, at 10:00 PM, David Blevins wrote:
>

>> On Apr 21, 2008, at 8:47 PM, Jason Warner wrote:
>>
>>> This may be a dumb question, but what happens if a user submitted
>>> content and then submitted a CLA sometime later on.  Are CLA's
>>> retroactive or does the content submitted before a CLA need to be
>>> resubmitted?
>>
>> Definitely not a dumb question.  In the concrete case of someone
>> making contributions to project A then filing a CLA and later
>> becoming a committer to project A, I'd think the CLA would cover
>> all contributions.  Similarly, if someone made some contributions
>> and we asked them to file a CLA and they did, I'd count that as
>> good enough.  Likely some other scenarios which are less clear, but
>> those two cover the common cases.
>>
>> And speaking of CLAs, here's a report of users, and their edits,
>> for whom I could not find a CLA:
>>
>> http://people.apache.org/~dblevins/gmo-revisions-no-cla.log
>>
>> I think the easiest thing is to just ask for CLAs from everyone on
>> this list (definitely some familiar faces in that list).
>> Afterwards we can deal with what's left which will be a process of
>> evaluating the contributions and making a judgment call on if they
>> fall under either the "minor patch" or the "major contribution"
>> category.

Getting CLA on file certainly seems to help reduce any concerns. Not
sure if a CLA applies retroactively to prior submissions.

--kevan

Re: Doc IP Clearance (was Re: [DISCUSS] Policy for granting write access to our Wiki)

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Apr 22, 2008, at 12:24 AM, David Jencks wrote:

> Great work david!!!
>
> I think some of these people are axis committers ... the ones with
> opensource.lk email addresses.  If they are, do we need another
> CLA?  Or did you already look and my idea that they are committers
> on another project is wrong?

I did a manual look for CLA by last name for everyone who made any
edits.  They might be there under a different name/spelling and
possibly I missed them.

-David

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
Great work david!!!

I think some of these people are axis committers ... the ones with
opensource.lk email addresses.  If they are, do we need another CLA?
Or did you already look and my idea that they are committers on
another project is wrong?

thanks
david jencks

Posted by Dan Becker <da...@gmail.com>.
David Blevins wrote:
> And speaking of CLAs, here's a report of users, and their edits, for
> whom I could not find a CLA:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~dblevins/gmo-revisions-no-cla.log
>
> I think the easiest thing is to just ask for CLAs from everyone on this
> list (definitely some familiar faces in that list).  Afterwards we can
> deal with what's left which will be a process of evaluating the
> contributions and making a judgment call on if they fall under either
> the "minor patch" or the "major contribution" category.

Egads, I'm on the list!

I see the forms for Contributor License Agreements at
http://www.apache.org/licenses/. However, from reading the FAQ I do not
see where to submit or record the form. Can someone point me to the process?

--
Thanks, Dan Becker

Re: Doc IP Clearance (was Re: [DISCUSS] Policy for granting write access to our Wiki)

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Posted by Jason Warner <ja...@apache.org>.

--
~Jason Warner

Re: Doc IP Clearance (was Re: [DISCUSS] Policy for granting write access to our Wiki)

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.