Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org> on 2004/02/29 18:50:10 UTC

workflow block commited

hi,

the lenya community has developed a lightweight workflow that we thought
would make more sense as a cocoon block, especially given that other cms
built on cocoon have shown interest in using it (hi arje :). i split out
the generic part and made it into a (unstable) block. it is disabled by
default.

discussion
==========
http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/BrowseList?listName=lenya-dev@cocoon.apache.org&by=thread&from=653774

documentation
=============
http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya/docs/components/workflow/terms.html
http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya/docs/components/workflow/state-machine.html
http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya/docs/components/workflow/configuration.html
http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya/docs/components/workflow/implementation.html

http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=LenyaWorkflow
http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=LenyaWorkflowAPI

issues
======
* the block only compiles with jdk 1.4 (it uses assertions)
   you need to set source=1.4 in ant to make it compile..
* there are currently no samples

to do
=====
* remove assertions?
* build a sample based on usage within lenya
   lenya integration is done via:
http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya/apidocs/org/apache/lenya/cms/workflow/package-summary.html
   for the lenya integration
* change package from o.a.lenya.workflow to o.a.cocoon.workflow
* move o.a.lenya.xml classes somewhere else?

we are looking forward to your comments :)

best,

-gregor

--
Gregor J. Rothfuss
http://wyona.com                   http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya

Re: workflow block commited

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:

> Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
>
>> hi,
>>
>> the lenya community has developed a lightweight workflow that we
>> thought would make more sense as a cocoon block, especially given that
>> other cms built on cocoon have shown interest in using it (hi arje :).
>> i split out the generic part and made it into a (unstable) block. it
>> is disabled by default.
>

> BTW, I think we should remove the o.a.l.xml sources and instead
> add a lenya.jar library including this code.

-1 This introduces circular dependencies.

I'm kinda disappointed on how this thing was handled: a vote on the
lenya community does *not* mean that cocoon is endorsing this and commit
access doesn't mean that you can do whatever you want.

Besides, the vote here was on the "concept", but there was no vote on
the details.

Gregor, consider removing everything from the cocoon cvs and start over
with a refactor proposal that doesn't introduce circular dependencies
and then another one on where to host it.

Thanks.

--
Stefano.

Re: workflow block commited

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

[...]

>>BTW, I think we should remove the o.a.l.xml sources and
>>instead add a lenya.jar library including this code.
>>

> You mean adding a lenya.jar to Cocoon? If so, I'm -1 on this
> as I don't want circular dependencies!

Yes, this sounds reasonable. So we have to remove
the dependencies to the Lenya XML classes, or is
there another solution?

-- Andreas

RE: workflow block commited

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
>
> > hi,
> >
> > the lenya community has developed a lightweight workflow that we
> > thought would make more sense as a cocoon block, especially
> given that
> > other cms built on cocoon have shown interest in using it
> (hi arje :).
> > i split out the generic part and made it into a (unstable)
> block. it
> > is disabled by default.
>
> BTW, I think we should remove the o.a.l.xml sources and
> instead add a lenya.jar library including this code.

You mean adding a lenya.jar to Cocoon? If so, I'm -1 on this
as I don't want circular dependencies!

Carsten

RE: workflow block commited

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.

Re: workflow block commited

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.

Re: workflow block commited

Posted by Guido Casper <gc...@s-und-n.de>.
Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
> hi,
>
> the lenya community has developed a lightweight workflow that we thought
> would make more sense as a cocoon block, especially given that other cms
> built on cocoon have shown interest in using it (hi arje :). i split out
> the generic part and made it into a (unstable) block. it is disabled by
> default.
>
> discussion
> ==========
> http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/BrowseList?listName=lenya-dev@cocoon.apache.org&by=thread&from=653774
>

> documentation
> =============
> http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya/docs/components/workflow/terms.html
> http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya/docs/components/workflow/state-machine.html
> http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya/docs/components/workflow/configuration.html
> http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya/docs/components/workflow/implementation.html
>
> http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=LenyaWorkflow
> http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=LenyaWorkflowAPI
>
> issues
> ======
> * the block only compiles with jdk 1.4 (it uses assertions)
>   you need to set source=1.4 in ant to make it compile..
> * there are currently no samples
>
> to do
> =====
> * remove assertions?
> * build a sample based on usage within lenya
>   lenya integration is done via:
> http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya/apidocs/org/apache/lenya/cms/workflow/package-summary.html
>
>   for the lenya integration
> * change package from o.a.lenya.workflow to o.a.cocoon.workflow
> * move o.a.lenya.xml classes somewhere else?
>
> we are looking forward to your comments :)

I reasonate with this todo list :-)
But I think a small sample OUTSIDE of a Lenya context would be good.

I would be grateful for a description of a simple use case (so a
generalized workflow abstraction may be discussed) how this workflow
package is intended to be used.

Maybe Carsten's concerns can be eased a little by growing from this
simple use case rather than throwing in a rather complex (though you say
lightweight) package.

Thanks
Guido

RE: workflow block commited

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Michael Wechner wrote:

> >> why don't we move it into the Lenya module and work there
> on the list
> >> which was suggested by Carsten?
> >>
> > By me? :)
>
> sorry, for my bad english, but I meant the list with the
> issues to be addressed, or did somebody else suggest this
> list? Maybe I am confusing things ;-)

No, I confused them...someday I will really start learning english,
promised (ten fingers crossed behind my back). Yes, the list
is from me :)

> > Big +10
>
> it seems to me that most Cocooners would like to move this
> block back to Lenya, at least for the moment. So I would
> suggest that we move it.

You have access to the Cocoon cvs. Do whatever you think is
appropriate.

Thanks
Carsten

RE: workflow block commited

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
> Michael Wechner wrote:
>

>> why don't we move it into the Lenya module and work there on
>> the list which was suggested by Carsten?
>>
> By me? :)

sorry, for my bad english, but I meant the list with the issues to be
addressed, or did somebody else suggest this list? Maybe I am confusing
things ;-)

> Big +10

it seems to me that most Cocooners would like to move this block
back to Lenya, at least for the moment. So I would suggest that we move it.

Michi

Re: workflow block commited

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@upaya.co.uk>.
Michael Wechner wrote:

> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>

>> I think these issues have to be address before the next release,
>> together with a minimum docs and a sample.
>>

> agreed
>
>> I expect another release of Cocoon in two or three weeks!
>>
>> Without the above changes, this block doesn't really fit into Cocoon.
>> In fact nothing Cocoon specific is used, so have you considered
>> to "move" the block to a more common place, e.h. jakarta-commons
>> or something like that?
>>

> why don't we move it into the Lenya module and work there on the list
> which was suggested by Carsten?
>
> Cocoon committers also have access to the Lenya module and it seems to
> me that Cocoon committers
> know by now that this block exists ;-)
>
> As soon as we have addressed the issues we can try moving it back into
> the Cocoon module.

I think it should be in the Lenya module, ideally set up to function as
a block, and stay there until there is good reason to move it elsewhere.

If the code is built well, and works well as a block, then I don't see
that it matters too much to a user of the functionality where it is.
However, from a community perspective, the block's most active
maintainers are here on Lenya, and as you can see, to keep it in Cocoon
would require you guys to come over to Cocoon-dev and play a more active
part in the development process there. Now that might happen, but it's
not really there yet.

So, keep it in Lenya.

Hopefully, as time progresses, Lenya will get a Cocoon style block
system, that just extends Cocoon's build system. And with that, you can
have more and more of your stuff as reusable blocks held within Lenya.

I would say, to really get that going, you need to find a way to get a
build process that is more aligned with the Cocoon one.

Regards, Upayavira

RE: workflow block commited

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.

RE: workflow block commited

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.

Re: workflow block commited

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>I think these issues have to be address before the next release,
>together with a minimum docs and a sample.

agreed

>I expect another release of Cocoon in two or three weeks!
>
>Without the above changes, this block doesn't really fit into Cocoon.
>In fact nothing Cocoon specific is used, so have you considered
>to "move" the block to a more common place, e.h. jakarta-commons
>or something like that?

why don't we move it into the Lenya module and work there on the list
which was suggested by Carsten?

Cocoon committers also have access to the Lenya module and it seems to
me that Cocoon committers
know by now that this block exists ;-)

As soon as we have addressed the issues we can try moving it back into
the Cocoon module.

WDYT?

Michi

Re: workflow block commited

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.

RE: workflow block commited

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.

RE: workflow block commited

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.

Re: workflow block commited

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.

Re: workflow block commited

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.

Re: workflow block commited

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.
Gregor J. Rothfuss dijo:
> the lenya community has developed a lightweight workflow that we thought
> would make more sense as a cocoon block, especially given that other cms
> built on cocoon have shown interest in using it (hi arje :). i split out
> the generic part and made it into a (unstable) block. it is disabled by
> default.

Hi Gregor:

I want to see this block too. It would be a good step for Cocoon.

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo

Re: workflow block commited

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

[...]

> Currently there isn't really someone against this "donation" here at
> Cocoon. Although the people that support it are very silent...
> Anyways, as I just said, please ask the next time on the Cocoon list
> before you submit a new block. Thanks.

OK.

> If this block stays at Cocoon

Is there a vote regarding this? Should we start one?

> you have to rename the packages
> from o.a.lenya to o.a.cocoon

OK. What about the license?

-- Andreas

Re: workflow block commited

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

[...]

> Currently there isn't really someone against this "donation" here at
> Cocoon. Although the people that support it are very silent...
> Anyways, as I just said, please ask the next time on the Cocoon list
> before you submit a new block. Thanks.

OK.

> If this block stays at Cocoon

Is there a vote regarding this? Should we start one?

> you have to rename the packages
> from o.a.lenya to o.a.cocoon

OK. What about the license?

-- Andreas

RE: workflow block commited

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.

If this block stays at Cocoon you have to rename the packages
from o.a.lenya to o.a.cocoon

Thanks
Carsten

RE: workflow block commited