Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu> on 2005/05/10 17:53:49 UTC

RFC: Issue #1171: Proxy settings detection from Internet settings on Win32

Issue #1171 is about automatically detecting proxy settings on Windows
if they're not defined in the config file.

Doing this would seem straight-forward, if it weren't for Windows
compicating matters by having two different APIs...

The first is called WinINet. It knows how to find the PAC file, but I
think you have to parse it yourselfunless you use WinINet to manage the
HTTP connection, too; that's very flaky at best. Subversion clients
can't do that. WinINet is available (with the right IE version) on all
currently alive (or undead?) flavours of Windows. TSVN uses WinINet, but
it only uses settings from the registry (i.e., it doesn't look at the
PAC file), which means it has no auto-proxy support.

The second is called WinHTTP. Unlike WinINet, you just send in an URL,
and get proxy parameters back. Also unlike WInINet, it's only available
on Win2k SP3 and later (well, an older redistributable version works on
a few other systems, too, but not on Win9x/Me, and it doesn't have
auto-proxy support).

I propose to use WinHTTP to fix issue #1171. The data in the config file
would take precedence, of course, and on systems where WinHTTP isn't
available, the config would still be the only way to set proxy
parameters. I think parsing the PAC isn't an option, and I don't want to
add more Win9x-specific code without even getting auto-proxy support as
a bonus.

Thoughts?

-- Brane

Re: RFC: Issue #1171: Proxy settings detection from Internet settings on Win32

Posted by steveking <st...@gmx.ch>.
Branko Čibej wrote:
> Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
>

>> On May 10, 2005, at 12:53 PM, Branko Čibej wrote:
>>

>>> I propose to use WinHTTP to fix issue #1171. The data in the config
>>> file would take precedence, of course, and on systems where WinHTTP
>>> isn't available, the config would still be the only way to set  proxy
>>> parameters. I think parsing the PAC isn't an option, and I  don't
>>> want to add more Win9x-specific code without even getting  auto-proxy
>>> support as a bonus.

Those are the system proxy settings. Most users don't even know where to
set them (e.g. the automatic windows update service uses them, and that
doesn't work if the proxy settings are only set in IE and not for the
system).
To get the IE proxy settings, there's the InternetQueryOption() API.

Stefan

--
        ___
   oo  // \\      "De Chelonian Mobile"

Re: RFC: Issue #1171: Proxy settings detection from Internet settings on Win32

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:

> On May 10, 2005, at 12:53 PM, Branko Čibej wrote:
>

>> I propose to use WinHTTP to fix issue #1171. The data in the config
>> file would take precedence, of course, and on systems where WinHTTP
>> isn't available, the config would still be the only way to set  proxy
>> parameters. I think parsing the PAC isn't an option, and I  don't
>> want to add more Win9x-specific code without even getting  auto-proxy
>> support as a bonus.
>>

> So the upshot of this proposal is:
>
>   * Win2K-sp3 and XP systems get proxy-detection automatically
>
>   * Win9X users still have to set the neon-proxy variables in the
> 'servers' file.
>
> ?

That's what I propose, yes.

Of course, one could always argue that APR should provide this
functionality, and indeed parsing PAC files /might/ be appropriate for
APR. But even if someone added that capability to APR, SVN couldn't use
ti before 2.0.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.