Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com> on 2016/06/30 18:13:18 UTC

[Android] Creation of 5.0.x branch and addition of Cordova-Android 6.0 featues

In case anyone missed the Snapchat hints today, an Android N release is
imminent and I think it's important that we make sure that we release the
latest version of Cordova built against that target as soon as possible.

Because of other API changes, we should make sure that we support the old
5.0.x branch for at least six months, and that we encourage everyone to
move to that branch.  This also means that we will no longer be supporting
Ice Cream Sandwich.

So, the plan is as follows:

1. Create a branch for 5.x off the current master.
2. Commit all changes to 6.0.x into master
3. Issue 5.x releases off the 5.x branch (minor changes)
4. Release 6.0.x with Android N

Remember that 5.0.x should work with Android N but will lack multi-window
support and run in a legacy mode.  The main goals with Android 6 is to do
the following.

1. Allow bridges to be thread-safe so that multiple webviews could exist.
 (Although not work with any complex plugins such as Camera, which requires
access to a CordovaInterface and plugin manager.)
2. Android N compatibility

For Android 6.0.x, we want to add the two following branches into master:
https://github.com/infil00p/cordova-android/tree/api24
https://github.com/phonegap/cordova-android/tree/building_bridges

Since I'll be going on break with the rest of Adobe, I won't be doing this
until July 11th, so there's plenty of time for people to review this.
However, at the same time, I'm going to assume that if I don't hear
anything that it's all good to go ahead with this approach and move forward
with a 6.0.x release.  The new bridge code has an API change that affects
Crosswalk, since Crosswalk needs to add a new method for the sendJavascript
bridge to work properly, since we brought back that deprecated feature.

I know this is a long e-mail, but it would be great if we could get our
release happening shortly after Google releases Android N, whatever N is
(we'll know later today, I have to check Snapchat).

Any thoughts and feedback would be welcome.

Joe

Re: [Android] Creation of 5.0.x branch and addition of Cordova-Android 6.0 featues

Posted by julio cesar sanchez <jc...@gmail.com>.
+1 to this

N was Nougat!