Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Dick Middleton <di...@lingbrae.com> on 2006/03/05 17:16:19 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache2.2 connection close, FIN,ACK error

I've been having real trouble getting apache2.2 to work on Devil-Linux
1.2.9.  Apache has upgraded from 2.0.53 to 2.2.0  and the linux kernel
to 2.4.32. The older version of Apache worked fine.

I have set up a laptop as a test bed and set the very minimum
network configuration.  I've also made the very minimum changes to
httpd.conf from the sample in the distro to configure apache2.
The test index.html works - it's very simple.

However if I increase the size of index.html (by adding characters
anywhere) it fails to send the file if the file has a size of 256 bytes
or more.  It is definitely size rather than content related.

Apache logs show the file being served correctly (code=200) whatever the
size.  However something is forcing tcp to close prematurely the
connection.  If I look at the network with ethereal I get an ACK from
the server to the GET request as expected but that is followed
immediately by a FIN,ACK from the server which forces the connection to
close.  No data is transferred from the server when this happens.

I get it on 2 systems with completely different hardware and settings so
I think it has to be a system configuration issue. Has anybody any idea
why I'm getting this error and what I can do about it?

Any clues would be appreciated.

Dick

Re: [users@httpd] Apache2.2 connection close, FIN,ACK error

Posted by Dick Middleton <di...@lingbrae.com>.
Dick Middleton wrote:
> I've been having real trouble getting apache2.2 to work on Devil-Linux
> 1.2.9.  Apache has upgraded from 2.0.53 to 2.2.0  and the linux kernel
> to 2.4.32. The older version of Apache worked fine.

> However if I increase the size of index.html (by adding characters
> anywhere) it fails to send the file if the file has a size of 256 bytes
> or more.  It is definitely size rather than content related.

It seems turning off EnableSendFile resolves the problem.

Dick