Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Olivier Girardot <ss...@gmail.com> on 2015/04/21 21:54:07 UTC

Spark build time

Hi everyone,
I was just wandering about the Spark full build time (including tests),
1h48 seems to me quite... spacious. What's taking most of the time ? Is the
build mainly integration tests ? Is there any roadmap or jiras dedicated to
that we can chip in ?

Regards,

Olivier.

RE: Spark build time

Posted by Alex <lx...@gmail.com>.
If you are using MVN there are some parameters (MAVEN_OPTS) which need to be set in order to give the underlying environment enough memory.  See the instructions here: https://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/building-spark.html

It runs tons of integration tests. I think most developers just let Jenkins
run the full suite of them.

Re: Spark build time

Posted by Nicholas Chammas <ni...@gmail.com>.
I suggest searching the archives for this list as there were several
previous discussions about this problem. JIRA also has several issues
related to this.

Some pointers:

   - SPARK-3431 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-3431>:
   Parallelize Scala/Java test execution
   -
   http://apache-spark-developers-list.1001551.n3.nabble.com/Unit-tests-in-lt-5-minutes-td7757.html
   - SPARK-4746 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-4746>:
   integration tests should be separated from faster unit tests
   -
   http://apache-spark-developers-list.1001551.n3.nabble.com/Building-Spark-with-Pants-td10397.html

Summary is, everyone agrees the long times are a problem and wants the
build and tests to run faster. There are several things that can be done,
but they all require a lot of work.

Nick
​

Re: Spark build time