Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by mw...@apache.org on 2003/03/20 07:02:33 UTC

RE: Chainsaw Preview?

Richard, we haven't gotten Scott's cool stuff integrated yet, and we have
been changing things sufficiently to make it a challenge for Scott to
integrate.  But hope is there.

Have you had a chance to look at the recent changes we have made to
Chainsaw?  Not that the gui looks any different, but we have tried to make
it possible so that Chainsaw can use any gui that implements the new
ChainsawViewer interface.  We know there is more work/factoring to be done
there (and Scott's gui is kind of a test case), so we would really
appreciate any feedback or guidance you might want to give.

As far as embeddable chainsaw gui...I must defer to the gui/swing experts,
but I hope that the task is made easier by our recent changes.

And hey, weren't you working on that configuration viewer/generation tool?
Any hope of getting a version ( rough, half broken :-) ) into the sandbox?
Just wondering because I thought that sounded like a cool tool...

-Mark

RE: Chainsaw Preview?

Posted by RB...@dtint.com.
Hey Mark,

Ya, I feel kind of stupid right now (sheepish...).  As is my nature, I've
taken on more projects than I can handle right now.  Hopefully I'll be
able to finish the rough, half broken version of the configuration tool
soon.  Ya, it'll definately be cool :-).  We have a lame
only-meets-our-needs-provides-no-real-extensibitly-almost-useless-to-the-community
version of the thing here at work, but I cannot justify beefing it up
during work hours.

<side-note>
        Historically I've been an architecture/infrastructure application
coder, but recently I've developed a real thing for gui's.  I wrote an
awesome program once with a lame gui, and the end user's hated it.  Ever
since I've been really into making good gui's.  I guess that's why I'm
interested in providing some gui tools for log4j - to extend it's reach to
less hackish developers, and also to provide some value-added benefit over
sun logging.
</side-note>

I'm feeling motivated...I'll crank something out tonight!

Richard

<mw...@apache.org>
03/19/2003 11:02 PM
Please respond to "Log4J Developers List"

        To:     "Log4J Developers List" <lo...@jakarta.apache.org>
        cc:
        Subject:        RE: Chainsaw Preview?