Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com> on 2003/11/28 20:49:29 UTC

data sources

Im finding the persistence plugin configuration to be a mess.
I really have no idea what database Im connecting to...
Far to many configuration layers, no documentation.
This needs to be simpler, not more complex for end users.

Any opinion on using JDBC data sources?

I'd also like to propose removing HSQL from J2, and using MySQL as the
default.

Re: data sources

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
On Saturday, December 6, 2003, at 01:15  PM, Roger Ruttimann wrote:

> I agree that we should put more thoughts into the database topic.
> Hypersonic is easy to deploy (no installation required) and a good for
> J2
> demos or validations.
>
> For more complex installations an external db is a must.
>
> Having a clear separation between Web application and database makes
> it easier
> to adapt J2 for different db products.
>
> For the above reasons we should definitely consider a external
> datasource as
> the default db. MySQL would be a good choice.

I'd like to put integrity constraints on the DDL.
Only MySQL 4 supports features like cascading deletes, other versions
of MySQL do not AFAIK.
I really prefer putting constraints in the database, but with an open
source project we have to consider users of all different kinds of
databases.
So much for standards.
One approach is to build integrity constraints into the O/R layer as
OJB supports
Its a compromise of a choice.
Since it takes an OJB expert to understand the constraints in the
mapping file which are much less standardized than SQL constraints.

Re: data sources

Posted by Roger Ruttimann <ro...@earthlink.net>.
I agree that we should put more thoughts into the database topic.
Hypersonic is easy to deploy (no installation required) and a good for J2
demos or validations.

For more complex installations an external db is a must.

Having a clear separation between Web application and database makes it easier
to adapt J2 for different db products.

For the above reasons we should definitely consider a external datasource as
the default db. MySQL would be a good choice.

Roger

Re: data sources

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
On Friday, November 28, 2003, at 11:49  AM, David Sean Taylor wrote:

> Im finding the persistence plugin configuration to be a mess.

I got a little bitchy there, sorry
Figured it out - I have to override the properties file in the test
directory in order to find the correct plug-in
Guess Im a little rusty with this stuff, but this is my point, there
are a few configuration files and its not easy to understand

This fixed it:

portal/src/webapp/WEB-INF/conf/test/jetspeed.properties:

services.profiler.persistence.plugin.name = jetspeed-test