Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Tal Daniel <ta...@gmail.com> on 2014/03/29 19:53:34 UTC

[INFO] Bugzilla process

A small info request, and suggestion, regarding the bug tracking process:
The "How to file a good Issue [in Bugzilla] (
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/QA/HowToFileIssue) end with this sentence:

> "[...], then press "Commit". Your bug report will now be in the Apache OOo
> Bugzilla database."

That's great, though...
(1) What happens NOW, after a bug is created? -- Does someone review it and
assign it, or should the reporter notify a mailing list, next to promote
it? Do BugZilla Admins review the bugs?
(2) What happens if the reporter feels no one read or did anything with his
bug report? (it happened to me a few times)

I'd recommend extend the above mentioned paragraph with this info, and
overview the process earlier within the Wiki page. I'll edit the wiki page,
according to info I'll receive.

Re: [INFO] Bugzilla process

Posted by Tal Daniel <ta...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Apr 21, Andrea Pescetti wrote:

> On 29/03/2014 Tal Daniel wrote:
>
>> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/QA/HowToFileIssue ...
>>
>> (1) What happens NOW, after a bug is created? -- Does someone review it
>> and
>> assign it, or should the reporter notify a mailing list, next to promote
>> it? Do BugZilla Admins review the bugs?

> mailing-lists.html is notified. No humans post directly to that list,
> it's only used to collect notifications from Bugzilla. Developers routinely
> scan it.
>
> Bugzilla admins probably watch the notifications too, but this is not
> their role.
>
>  (2) What happens if the reporter feels no one read or did anything with
>> his
>> bug report? (it happened to me a few times)
>>

> Usually it's a matter of having patience, but you can ping the dev list if
> you feel that something should be done before the next release or is being
> neglected.
>

>  I'd recommend extend the above mentioned paragraph with this info, and
>> overview the process earlier within the Wiki page. I'll edit the wiki
>> page,
>> according to info I'll receive.
>>

> Feel free to add this information there.

Thanks for in info, Andrea.
I've added this info in the wiki page, and hopefully, users will feel more
confident that someone will notice their issue, after they've created it.
See https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/QA/HowToFileIssue#Reporting_a_New_Bug

Re: [INFO] Bugzilla process

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 29/03/2014 Tal Daniel wrote:
> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/QA/HowToFileIssue ...
> (1) What happens NOW, after a bug is created? -- Does someone review it and
> assign it, or should the reporter notify a mailing list, next to promote
> it? Do BugZilla Admins review the bugs?

The Issues mailing list, see
http://openoffice.apache.org/mailing-lists.html is notified. No humans
post directly to that list, it's only used to collect notifications from
Bugzilla. Developers routinely scan it.

Bugzilla admins probably watch the notifications too, but this is not
their role.

> (2) What happens if the reporter feels no one read or did anything with his
> bug report? (it happened to me a few times)

Usually it's a matter of having patience, but you can ping the dev list
if you feel that something should be done before the next release or is
being neglected.

> I'd recommend extend the above mentioned paragraph with this info, and
> overview the process earlier within the Wiki page. I'll edit the wiki page,
> according to info I'll receive.

Feel free to add this information there.

Regards,
   Andrea.