Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Upendra Yadav <up...@gmail.com> on 2014/02/25 19:00:52 UTC

Need some information over WAL

I have also doubt over WAL(write ahead log).

In hdfs we can write a new file or we can append to old file.

Is that correct :
1. WAL only logs operations not its data... just like disk journaling(ext4)

2. In case of Region Server failure... WAL replay will depends on Client to
get each operation's data that yet not committed/flushed to hdfs.

3. Hbase uses append operation in hdfs to store/log WAL.

Thanks...

Re: Need some information over WAL

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
Minor addition:

bq. WAL is a single and common file for all regions on a region server

hbase:meta has its own WAL file.

Posted by Upendra Yadav <up...@gmail.com>.
Thanks.... :)

Posted by Upendra Yadav <up...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Dhawal....

Posted by Upendra Yadav <up...@gmail.com>.
Thanks @Ted Yu...

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dhaval Shah <pr...@yahoo.co.in>.
Inline

Regards,
Dhaval

I have also doubt over WAL(write ahead log).

In hdfs we can write a new file or we can append to old file.

Is that correct :
1. WAL only logs operations not its data... just like disk journaling(ext4)
- No WAL is a log of all new data, not just the operations

2. In case of Region Server failure... WAL replay will depends on Client to
get each operation's data that yet not committed/flushed to hdfs.
- No client will not generally know of a region server failure. It gets the data from the WAL and replays it. The client may not even exist when a region server crashes