Posted to user@vcl.apache.org by "Hechler, Adam" <he...@rpi.edu> on 2012/06/22 19:46:40 UTC

Deleting images and files

Hello all,

I looked around a little bit but didn't see any documentation on how to delete images (and their associated files).
Through all of my testing I've wound up creating quite a few images and I'd like to clean things up before continuing.

What I have been able to do is this:

In VCL:
In Manage Computers I reloaded all of the computers that had one of the images I wanted to delete with a different image. I didn't see any method of just "unloading" the images from the computers.
In Manage Images, I just selected the Delete button for those images I wanted to delete (I had tried this first but received the message that the selected resource was in use which is what led me to load different images in the Manage Computers screen).

So now, when I got to VMWare Server, I no longer see the images there.

If I look in our datastore, the physical files are still there and if I look in the database, I still see the images in the "image" table.  I figured before I just physically delete the files, or delete records from the database, I better ask. Hoping for some guidance.

Thanks,
Adam

Adam Hechler
Senior Analyst /PC Systems Administrator
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
275 Windsor Street
Hartford, CT 06120 USA
Ph: 860-548-2446
Email: hechla@rpi.edu<ma...@rpi.edu>
Web: http://www.ewp.rpi.edu<http://www.ewp.rpi.edu/>

Re: Deleting images and files

Posted by Mike Haudenschild <mi...@longsight.com>.
Hi Adam,

If you're 100% positive you'll never use the image again, go ahead and
delete the VMDK files from the repo.  Depending upon your VM Host config,
the VMDKs may have been copied from the repo into working local directories
on your ESXi boxes, as well.

I'd hesitate to delete from the database.  If the "deleted" flag is set to
"1" they won't show up in the UI.  But there are enough relationships set
up in the database between tables (e.g. the images themselves are related
to entries in the log table) that it may not be advisable to delete the
image.

The main downside of that, in my experience, is that you can run into
problems creating new images with names matching "deleted" images...  I
*have* deleted images directly from the DB, but only on testing/development
instances.  Any devs monitoring the thread would have better input on that.

Regards,
Mike
--
*Mike Haudenschild*

[...]