Posted to dev@vcl.apache.org by Andy Kurth <an...@ncsu.edu> on 2010/04/15 16:19:52 UTC

Re: Only one vm working

Hi Terry,
Is the image booting on vmguest-2 and 3 but SSH is failing, or is it not booting
at all?  If it isn't booting, check the computer.drivetype values for the VMs.
I came across an issue with this last week with another pilot attempting to
create a Linux VMware base image.  If the value differs among the VMs, try
swapping sda/hda and see what happens.

If the image is booting but SSH isn't responding, check the MAC addresses and IP
addresses that are assigned to the VMs.  If it isn't receiving an IP address, do
the private MAC addresses match dhcpd.conf and /etc/hosts?  Also, check the VM
host to make sure you don't have multiple instances of a VM using the same MAC
address.

I'm not sure what's causing the "Failed to resolve given hostname" error.  I'm
guessing this is coming from the nmap command.  Was this error listed in
vcld.log or did you see it somewhere else?  Please provide some lines leading up
to this error if it's from the log.

Regards,
Andy

--
Andy Kurth
Virtual Computing Lab

Re: Only one vm working

Posted by Terry McGuire <tm...@ualberta.ca>.
Hi Andy.  A breakthrough!  I now have multiple vm guests working!  Yay!  Weirdly, I still don't have the *first* vm guest - vmguest-1 - working, but at this point I don't really care, as this is all just for evaluation purposes anyway.  The details, for the record:

The problem with vmguest-3, and what caused the new error in the vcld log:

Failed to resolve given hostname/IP: vmguest-3.  Note that you can't use '/mask' AND '1-4,7,100-' style IP ranges
WARNING: No targets were specified, so 0 hosts scanned.

...was that I had indeed forgotten to add vmguest-3 to /etc/hosts.  Adding it made the above error go away and, miraculously, also made ssh successful.

It remains a mystery why vmguest-1 doesn't work, but since I now have multiple functioning vmguests I'm moving on to other challenges, namely, creating more images, both Windows and Linux, and adding users to the system.  A thousand thanks for your perseverance here Andy.  Hopefully, I'll be able to deal with the remaining challenges with a little less of your time and patience.

Regards,
Terry