Posted to dev@calcite.apache.org by Michael Mior <mm...@apache.org> on 2020/01/07 11:35:19 UTC

Gradle documentation update

I noticed when the changed was made from Maven to Gradle, the documentation
on the development page has not been updated. I can change the compilation
command, but could any IDE users update the documentation there?
--
Michael Mior
mmior@apache.org

Re: Gradle documentation update

Posted by Francis Chuang <fr...@apache.org>.
What I meant was that
https://github.com/apache/calcite-site/commit/81960613e7750a9191280719352ae941a7d6a22d#diff-efedb3376e58f7bcc03c666d03682ce3R154
looked like it was built from calcite's master branch, so the
documentation is missing.

The site branch does not have any commits for gradle:
https://github.com/apache/calcite/commits/site

If the changes need to be published immediately, then the commits should
also be cherry-picked into the site branch, which can then be built.

I agree that the site vs master branch is not easy to work with. I am
working with infra to get automated builds implemented, so that we won't
have to manually push the site as a first step towards making it easier.

Francis

Posted by Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Francis Chuang <fr...@apache.org>.
Ah, I see the problem now. I always build the site from the site branch
(as there may be things on master that shouldn't be published before a
release). Can you cherry pick the appropriate commits for the migration
into the site branch? I'll rebuild and push the site.

Francis

Posted by Francis Chuang <fr...@apache.org>.
I pushed the latest site files under the avatica folder only in that
commit. There were no changes to Calcite's site (everything other than
the avatica folder).

There is
https://github.com/apache/calcite-site/commit/81960613e7750a9191280719352ae941a7d6a22d,
but there doesn't appear to be any changes to the build instructions for
gradle.

Francis

Posted by Stamatis Zampetakis <za...@gmail.com>.
Note that the master branch documentation [1][2] seems to be updated with
respect to gradle. The problem seems to be related with what is pushed in
git@github.com:apache/calcite-site.

[1] https://github.com/apache/calcite/blob/master/site/_docs/howto.md
[2] https://github.com/apache/calcite/blob/master/site/develop/index.md

Posted by Forward Xu <fo...@gmail.com>.
OK, I can try to fix this.

Posted by Feng Zhu <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Mior <mm...@apache.org>.
Sorry for not specifying earlier, it's the pages linked below. If you
search for "mvn" and "pom.xml" you'll see the instances I mean. It
looks like the release documentation also still uses Maven.

https://calcite.apache.org/develop/
https://calcite.apache.org/docs/howto.html

--
Michael Mior
mmior@apache.org

Posted by Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Mior <mm...@apache.org>.
Thanks Stamatis!
--
Michael Mior
mmior@apache.org

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.
No objection to SQLLine printing some helpful instructions, as long as there is a way for more advanced users to turn it off.

I can’t think of a mechanism in SQLLine to run a startup script, but there probably is one.

Posted by Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stamatis Zampetakis <za...@gmail.com>.
I committed a few things on apache/site and pushed the changes to
apache/calcite-site.
The Gradle documentation in the Website looks to be fine now.

Posted by Stamatis Zampetakis <za...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Mior <mm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rui Wang <am...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Mior <mm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stamatis Zampetakis <za...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for picking this up Michael!

I was hoping that we could have a release quite soon so that the branches
get synced but since you already did the work go ahead. No objections here.

Best,
Stamatis

Posted by Michael Mior <mm...@apache.org>.
I put this branch up only so others can look. I'll delete it
immediately after the site branch is fixed.
--
Michael Mior
mmior@apache.org

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.