Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Aditya Budi <ad...@gmail.com> on 2011/09/24 16:27:04 UTC

Asking for Advice for *-site.xml

Hi Everyone,

I am new to hadoop and have 4 machine with 4 CPU and 4 GB ram in each
machine. And i am planning some scenario as follow.
Scenario 1: Only one machine utilize 1 core
Scenario 2: Only one machine utilize 4 core
Scenario 3: Only two machine utilize each 1 core
Scenario 4: All machine with all 4 core each been utilize.

Is my scenario possible? and if possible is there any best practice to
achieve that? I am fully understand that i need to make modification of all
*-site.xml for each scenario.

below is my *-site.xml configuration.

Thank you so much for your help !

Best Regards,
Budi

-- core-site.xml
<configuration>
<property>
<name>hadoop.tmp.dir</name>
<value>/app/hadoop/tmp</value>
</property>
<property>
<name>fs.default.name</name>
<value>hdfs://master:54310</value>
</property>
<property>
<name>io.sort.factor</name>
<value>32</value>
</property>
<property>
<name>io.sort.mb</name>
<value>320</value>
</property>
<property>
<name>io.file.buffer.size</name>
<value>131072</value>
</property>
</configuration>

-- hdfs-site.xml
<configuration>
<property>
<name>dfs.replication</name>
<value>2</value>
</property>
<property>
<name>dfs.permissions</name>
<value>false</value>
</property>
<property>
<name>dfs.block.size</name>
<value>134217728</value>
</property>
<property>
<name>dfs.namenode.handler.count</name>
<value>40</value>
</property>
</configuration>

-- mapred-site.xml

<configuration>
<property>
<name>mapred.job.tracker</name>
<value>master:54311</value>
</property>
<property>
<name>mapred.reduce.parallel.copies</name>
<value>20</value>
</property>
<property>
<name>mapred.map.child.java.opts</name>
<value>-Xmx512M</value>
</property>
<property>
<name>mapred.reduce.child.java.opts</name>
<value>-Xmx512M</value>
</property>
<property>
<name>mapred.tasktracker.map.tasks.maximum</name>
<value>1</value>
</property>
<property>
<name>mapred.tasktracker.reduce.tasks.maximum</name>
<value>1</value>
</property>
<property>
<name>mapred.task.timeout</name>