Posted to dev@zeppelin.apache.org by "Kevin (Sangwoo) Kim" <ke...@apache.org> on 2015/02/04 04:51:38 UTC

Typescript?

Hello developers,

I'd like to open a discussion on getting Typescript into zeppelin.

http://www.typescriptlang.org/

Typescript brings type system onto javascript codes, which improves
productivity working with huge js codes.

One of the really good point of Typescript is, 100% compatibility with
javascript, that is,
if we just change xxx.js into xxx.ts, it just works.
Then we can add some classes and type annotation gradually.

Some frontend guys in our company already compared similar technology like
coffeescript and finally using Typescript and they are really satisfied.

On the other hand, IDE support could be a limitation of Typescript.
IntelliJ ultimate edition ($199) or Visual Studio can be used to utilize
full editing feature of Typescript (auto completion, etc)
I can confirm syntax highlighting feature for Typescript works on Sublime
editor.
(Of course you can use any editor or IDE to edit ts, tough.)

Any idea on this topic is welcomed!

Regards,
Kevin

Re: Typescript?

Posted by Corneau Damien <co...@gmail.com>.
I think it can be included if it matches multiple conditions:
- Has to be angularjs ready
- Has to be easy to set up (currently we are mainly using yeoman to create
new controllers etc..)
- Has to fit inside of our build and dev Grunt rules

Not a big fan of adding changes that big just to add the var types into the
code, one thing I'm scared is: Will it pop errors everywhere once it's
activated? (because of missing types?)

IDE support is not that important since you can always tell your editor to
use javascript highlighting and work without auto-completion.

Re: Typescript?

Posted by "Alex B." <bz...@apache.org>.