Posted to general@xml.apache.org by Berin Lautenbach <be...@wingsofhermes.org> on 2004/03/12 12:26:14 UTC

[VOTE] Native JCE

Folks,

Our charter requires that active committers in the xml-project vote on
new sub-projects.

Accordingly, I'd request that all committers vote on the proposal that
was put forward last week, and which can be found at :

http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?XMLProjectPages/OpenSSLJCEProposal

It has been given a unanimous +1 vote by the XML-Security team.

Note the sub-project has not yet been formally named, but JuiCE is the
current proposal.

I'll start with a +1 from me.

Cheers,
	Berin

Re: [VOTE] Native JCE

Posted by Santiago Pericas-Geertsen <Sa...@Sun.COM>.
On Fri, 2004-03-12 at 06:26, Berin Lautenbach wrote:

> I'll start with a +1 from me.

 Looks promising. +1

-- Santiago

Re: [VOTE] Native JCE

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.
Berin Lautenbach wrote:
> Accordingly, I'd request that all committers vote on the proposal that
> was put forward last week, and which can be found at :
>
> http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?XMLProjectPages/OpenSSLJCEProposal

+1

--
Gianugo Rabellino
     (Blogging at: http://www.rabellino.it/blog/)

Re: [VOTE] Native JCE

Posted by "Peter B. West" <pb...@powerup.com.au>.
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> Berin Lautenbach wrote:
>
>> Folks,
>>
>> Our charter requires that active committers in the xml-project vote on
>> new sub-projects.
>>
>> Accordingly, I'd request that all committers vote on the proposal that
>> was put forward last week, and which can be found at :
>>
>> http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?XMLProjectPages/OpenSSLJCEProposal
>>

> +1

+0

Re: [VOTE] Native JCE

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.
Berin Lautenbach wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Our charter requires that active committers in the xml-project vote on
> new sub-projects.
>
> Accordingly, I'd request that all committers vote on the proposal that
> was put forward last week, and which can be found at :
>
> http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?XMLProjectPages/OpenSSLJCEProposal

+1

Vadim

Re: [VOTE] Native JCE

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Great. It is +0.9 from me, because i cannot help much.

--David

Re: [VOTE] Native JCE

Posted by Shane Curcuru <sh...@yahoo.com>.
At 06:26 AM 3/12/2004, Berin wrote:
>Accordingly, I'd request that all committers vote on the proposal that was
>put forward last week, and which can be found at :
>
>http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?XMLProjectPages/OpenSSLJCEProposal

+1 from Shane (xml-commons, xml-xalan, PMC) for this proposal.  Nice to see
existing xml-security committers will be helping to incubate etc.

- Shane

Re: [VOTE] Native JCE

Posted by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com>.
Berin Lautenbach <be...@wingsofhermes.org> writes:

> I'll start with a +1 from me.

+1 from me.

jas.

Re: Native JCE license, etc

Posted by Berin Lautenbach <be...@wingsofhermes.org>.
Jeff Turner wrote:

> According to the license, the code has the following copyright:
>
>   "Copyright (c) 2002
>    University Corporation for Advanced Internet Development, Inc.
>    All rights reserved"
>
>    -- http://shibboleth.internet2.edu/license.html
>
> Do we have some indication from them that they are willing to transfer
> copyright to the ASF?

Yup - and the people involved are aware of the relevant form to provide
copyright to the ASF.  Having said that  this is one reason this would
need to go through the incubator.

> And just to be picky:
>
>   "..subject to The ASF signing a form indicating that the Foundation
> understands the US export control requirements and agrees to abide by
> them."
>
> Does this imply we need "I'm not a terrorist, honest" checkboxes on the
> download page, like Sun has?  If so, we'll need to ensure it isn't
> mirrored.  Anyway, hope whoever signs the form is more enlightened on
> these matters than me :)

We've been through a lot of this with xml-security already, as we are
implementing encryption functionality in those libraries.  So the
thinking at the moment is the same requirements would be in place
(notification of BIS etc.)

Given this is  "publically available" source code, the requirement for
active checking on web sites is not active.  However, were we to
directly send the code to a part of the world that is controlled, we
would need to apply for an export permit.

http://www.bxa.doc.gov/Encryption/Q&A18oct.htm#24

Cheers,
	Berin

Native JCE license, etc (was: Re: [VOTE] Native JCE)

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
Hi,

According to the license, the code has the following copyright:

  "Copyright (c) 2002
   University Corporation for Advanced Internet Development, Inc.
   All rights reserved"

   -- http://shibboleth.internet2.edu/license.html

Do we have some indication from them that they are willing to transfer
copyright to the ASF?

And just to be picky:

  "..subject to The ASF signing a form indicating that the Foundation
understands the US export control requirements and agrees to abide by
them."

Does this imply we need "I'm not a terrorist, honest" checkboxes on the
download page, like Sun has?  If so, we'll need to ensure it isn't
mirrored.  Anyway, hope whoever signs the form is more enlightened on
these matters than me :)

--Jeff

Re: [VOTE] Native JCE

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
Sounds good to me. +1

I assume that the package is targeted to run under all important
platforms (Linux, Win32, MacOSX, BSDs).

On 12.03.2004 12:26:14 Berin Lautenbach wrote:
> http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?XMLProjectPages/OpenSSLJCEProposal

Jeremias Maerki

Re: [VOTE] Native JCE

Posted by Erwin van der Koogh <er...@koogh.com>.
>> http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?XMLProjectPages/OpenSSLJCEP
>> roposal

+1 Erwin van der Koogh

+1 Berin
+1 Jeff Turner

Re: [VOTE] Native JCE

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 10:26:14PM +1100, Berin Lautenbach wrote:

> http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?XMLProjectPages/OpenSSLJCEProposal

+1

Thanks for clarifying the licensing.

--Jeff