Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Daryl Odnert <do...@postpath.com> on 2007/04/26 19:09:34 UTC

Servlet Access To Its Package Version

Let me start by explaining that my goal is to have a Java servlet log its
implementation version number when it is loaded and initialized by
Tomcat.  I am having trouble with my current approach.  I would appreciate
approaches to achieving the high level goal.

Current approach: My .war file includes a META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
file that looks like this:

  Manifest-Version: 1.0
  Ant-Version: Apache Ant 1.6.5
  Created-By: 1.5.0_06-b05 (Sun Microsystems Inc.)

  Name: com/postpath/services/
  Specification-Title: PostPath Services
  Specification-Version: 3.0.0
  Specification-Vendor: PostPath, Inc.
  Package-Title: com.postpath.services
  Package-Version: 3.0.0.0704250115
  Package-Vendor: PostPath, Inc.

My servlet class is defined in package com.postpath.services and
the .class files are located in WEB-INF/classes/com/postpath/services/.
However, when my servlet initialization function is called, I get a null
String reference returned from this expression:

  String versionId = getClass().getPackage().getImplementationVersion();

Does anyone know why this might be the case or what I can do to fix this?

I am using Tomcat v5.5.7 on JVM 1.5.0_06-b05 from Sun Microsystems
on a Linux OS.  I have already done some Web searching and have
searched the archives of the tomcat-user list, but have been unsuccessful
in locating a working solution.

Daryl Odnert
PostPath, Inc.
Mountain View, California