Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Mat Gessel <ma...@gmail.com> on 2006/01/21 04:37:07 UTC

Duration of client:app persistence "scope"

First some links, for those who don't know what "client:app" refers to:

http://jakarta.apache.org/tapestry/tapestry/hivedocs/module/tapestry.persist.html
http://jakarta.apache.org/tapestry/UsersGuide/state.html#N10103
http://jakarta.apache.org/tapestry/tapestry/apidocs/org/apache/tapestry/record/PageClientPropertyPersistenceScope.html
http://jakarta.apache.org/tapestry/tapestry/apidocs/org/apache/tapestry/record/AppClientPropertyPersistenceScope.html
http://www.tapestryforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=2566&highlight=scope+client

Previously Kent Tong stated:

> a) @Persist("client")
> b) @Persist("client:page")
> c) @Persist("client:app")
>
> a) is the same as b). If you use b) for a property x for page Foo, then
> you can get back the property only if the navigation is Foo => Foo. If the
> navigation is Foo => Bar => Foo, then it will be lost when Bar is
> invoked. In contrast, if you use c), then it will be maintained all
> the way.

My questions:

How long are properties persisted with client:app? Will they just keep
accumulating indefinitely from page to page?

What problem does the client:app persistence strategy solve?

-= Mat

Re: Duration of client:app persistence "scope"

Posted by Kent Tong <ke...@cpttm.org.mo>.
Mat Gessel <mat.gessel <at> gmail.com> writes:

> How long are properties persisted with client:app? Will they just keep
> accumulating indefinitely from page to page?

Yes, until you call cycle.forgetPage("YourPageName").

> What problem does the client:app persistence strategy solve?

Only MindBridge can tell :-) I guess it's trying to emulate the
effect of session persistent properties.

--
Author of a book for learning Tapestry (www.agileskills2.org/EWDT)