Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Carl Kabbe <ca...@etrak-plus.com> on 2012/02/28 02:32:07 UTC

Tomcat suddenly dies

I have run Tomcat in two environments and both produced the same results.

Server 1:

OS - Slackware Linux 13.x 64 bit
JVM - 1.6.0_31
Tomcat - 6.0.24

Server memory 16GB
Heap 2GB, PermGen 300M

Server 2:

OS - Slackware 13.x 64 bit
JVM - 1.6.0_31
Tomcat - 7.0.14

Server memory 8GB
Heap 2GB, PermGen 300M

The history:

Two years ago, I was running the application on JVM 1.6.0_18 and having a similar or the same problem and Charles suggested I go back to 1.6.0_7.  I did and the app ran pretty flawlessly (except for screwups in the code changes.)  We have been adding a number of clients so I am moving toward a clustered environment and trying to update the JVM, Tomcat, etc.

The problem:

Starting about a month ago, Tomcat would suddenly fail, no heap dump, no indication of trouble in the log, no indication the JVM crashed (JVisualVM continues to hum along), nothing (that I can find.)  At first, we thought it was load related as our heaviest loads are in the early afternoon and the crashes were consistently 1-2:00PM.  Then, last Friday, it crashed around 4:00PM when there was relatively light load.  As nearly as we can tell, there is no slowness or other indicator the failure is coming… the system just hums along and bam, gone.

The garbage collection and cpu utilization look pretty normal (garbage collection is the typical saw edge and cpu utilization is 0-20% with an occasional short duration spike.)

I am going back to 1.6.0_7 on server 1 tomorrow.

I was thinking the only way to potentially get to the bottom of this would be to take frequent heap dumps between 1:00 and 2:00PM but, while they may be interesting, I am not certain they will show anything useful as the system shows no signs of strain before dying.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Carl

Re: Tomcat suddenly dies

Posted by Carl Kabbe <ca...@etrak-plus.com>.
Dan,

Thanks for the response.

> Are you accessing any native code from Java?  For example using JNI /
> JNA or a third party module which requires you to set
> "java.library.path"?

No.

Thanks,

Carl

Re: Tomcat suddenly dies

Posted by Daniel Mikusa <dm...@vmware.com>.

Re: Tomcat suddenly dies

Posted by Carl Kabbe <ca...@etrak-plus.com>.
Ranier,

Re: Tomcat suddenly dies

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.

Re: Tomcat suddenly dies

Posted by Carl Kabbe <ca...@etrak-plus.com>.
Chuck and Chris,

Re: Tomcat suddenly dies

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: Tomcat suddenly dies

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Carl Kabbe [mailto:carl@etrak-plus.com]
> Subject: Tomcat suddenly dies

> Starting about a month ago, Tomcat would suddenly fail, no heap dump,
> no indication of trouble in the log, no indication the JVM crashed

Check the kernel logs (e.g., /var/log/messages, /var/log/warn), not just the Tomcat ones.  Also, look for a JVM dump file (hs_err_pid*.log), possibly in the current directory of what was the Tomcat process.

 - Chuck

Re: Tomcat suddenly dies

Posted by "Au, Leon" <le...@amazon.com>.
On 2/27/12 5:32 PM, "Carl Kabbe" <ca...@etrak-plus.com> wrote:

>I have run Tomcat in two environments and both produced the same results.
>
>Server 1:
>
>OS - Slackware Linux 13.x 64 bit
>JVM - 1.6.0_31
>Tomcat - 6.0.24
>
>Server memory 16GB
>Heap 2GB, PermGen 300M
>
>Server 2:
>
>OS - Slackware 13.x 64 bit
>JVM - 1.6.0_31
>Tomcat - 7.0.14
>
>Server memory 8GB
>Heap 2GB, PermGen 300M
>
>The history:
>
>Two years ago, I was running the application on JVM 1.6.0_18 and having a
>similar or the same problem and Charles suggested I go back to 1.6.0_7.
>I did and the app ran pretty flawlessly (except for screwups in the code
>changes.)  We have been adding a number of clients so I am moving toward
>a clustered environment and trying to update the JVM, Tomcat, etc.
>
>The problem:
>
>Starting about a month ago, Tomcat would suddenly fail, no heap dump, no
>indication of trouble in the log, no indication the JVM crashed
>(JVisualVM continues to hum along), nothing (that I can find.)  At first,
>we thought it was load related as our heaviest loads are in the early
>afternoon and the crashes were consistently 1-2:00PM.  Then, last Friday,
>it crashed around 4:00PM when there was relatively light load.  As nearly
>as we can tell, there is no slowness or other indicator the failure is
>comingŠ the system just hums along and bam, gone.
>
>The garbage collection and cpu utilization look pretty normal (garbage
>collection is the typical saw edge and cpu utilization is 0-20% with an
>occasional short duration spike.)
>
>I am going back to 1.6.0_7 on server 1 tomorrow.
>
>I was thinking the only way to potentially get to the bottom of this
>would be to take frequent heap dumps between 1:00 and 2:00PM but, while
>they may be interesting, I am not certain they will show anything useful
>as the system shows no signs of strain before dying.
>
>Anyone have any ideas?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Carl

This may be a silly question, but do you have the -XX:ErrorFile flag
turned on for your JVM so that it would record the error data to a file?
I don't think heap dumps are recorded by default.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/tech/vmoptions-jsp-140102.htm
l#DebuggingOptions

Leon